Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hard top maintenance

Old 04-11-2008, 05:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard top maintenance

Wondered what everyone is doing to keep their hard top looking good? and what not to do!
Old 04-11-2008, 06:01 PM
JK Newbie

I've been using stp son of a gun. Cleans it up real nice. Somewhere in this forum I read your not supposed to us it. But, I think they were referring to the soft top. I also use it on the plastic fenders.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Here's a don't.... do not put your freedom top panels in the back when you are out wheeling and your family puts rocks they found on the trail back there with them.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you are removing the back end by yourself you should be really strong (strong enough to lift an awkwardly balanced 100lb monstrocity) or atleast have a helping hand and something to place it on...unless you have a handy dandy hoist system (either purchased or a DIY)

I made a mistake of trying to remove it by myself, roughed up the bottom ends a bit, scratched up some of the paint on my Jeep, and almost injured my back.

To maintain it, I just wash it the same way I was the rest of the Jeep.

If you do happen to scratch it permanent marker is a great way to cover up the boo boo. (Thankfully found this out from all the great members of this forum)
Old 04-12-2008, 03:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by neil17
If you are removing the back end by yourself you should be really strong (strong enough to lift an awkwardly balanced 100lb monstrocity) or atleast have a helping hand and something to place it on...unless you have a handy dandy hoist system (either purchased or a DIY)

I made a mistake of trying to remove it by myself, roughed up the bottom ends a bit, scratched up some of the paint on my Jeep, and almost injured my back.

To maintain it, I just wash it the same way I was the rest of the Jeep.

If you do happen to scratch it permanent marker is a great way to cover up the boo boo. (Thankfully found this out from all the great members of this forum)
I clean it and wax it like the rest of the painted surfaces.
Old 04-12-2008, 03:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Black shoe polish. It takes awhile to put it on then buff it, but it repells water and bird dropping rinse right off. At first you may want to put on a couple of coats. After that once a year. You'll find it very slippery when your done. Almost looks like you put tire spray on it. This also work for your black side flares.

Quick Reply: Hard top maintenance