Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hard top

Old 02-21-2012, 04:58 PM
JK Freak
Veteran: Air Force

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Hard top

Have the hard tops always been white on the inside? I'm not Sure what to think of that look.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes indeed...they have always been white. At least that is true for the JKs, and I doubt it for the previous models, for as much complaints as I've seen on here.

If you search the forum, you will find many people who have painted or truck bed-lined the insides. I think I have some pictures in my album of mine. I purchased Rustoleum Truck Bed liner in a rattle can from Walmart. I bought my JK used so the white was a little dirty so I lightly sanded the paint...mostly to clean it but also scuff it up a little. However, the white paint is pretty rough to begin with so there really isn't a need to do any sanding. Take off the attachments and cover any rubber weather stripping with painters tape and you're ready to turn it black!!

I still have to do the rear section of mine! It turns out very nice. However, I warn you, until the bed liner fully cures and the smell dissipates enough...the inside of your JK will not smell too great for a few weeks. Well worth it though!
Old 02-21-2012, 05:30 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mitch435
Yes indeed...they have always been white. At least that is true for the JKs, and I doubt it for the previous models, for as much complaints as I've seen on here.

If you search the forum, you will find many people who have painted or truck bed-lined the insides. I think I have some pictures in my album of mine. I purchased Rustoleum Truck Bed liner in a rattle can from Walmart. I bought my JK used so the white was a little dirty so I lightly sanded the paint...mostly to clean it but also scuff it up a little. However, the white paint is pretty rough to begin with so there really isn't a need to do any sanding. Take off the attachments and cover any rubber weather stripping with painters tape and you're ready to turn it black!!

I still have to do the rear section of mine! It turns out very nice. However, I warn you, until the bed liner fully cures and the smell dissipates enough...the inside of your JK will not smell too great for a few weeks. Well worth it though!
Why do you think they do that?
Old 02-21-2012, 06:19 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jkrubcon

Why do you think they do that?
Who knows why they did alot of their stuff. To some, a white roof looks nice.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:24 PM
JK Newbie

I assume that they do it so that the Jeep doesn't feel like a cave. We all know how limited our overhead light is - any reflection that can be had is a bonus. A darker interior wouldn't help much as far as interior lighting is concerned. At least, this is my guess.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:30 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Delux2769

Who knows why they did alot of their stuff. To some, a white roof looks nice.
My rubi is the maroon cherry red, saddle leather seats and the dash is black. The white ceiling looks bad with all those colors.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:33 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jkrubcon

My rubi is the maroon cherry red, saddle leather seats and the dash is black. The white ceiling looks bad with all those colors.
Maybe I shouldn't look up, ha

Quick Reply: Hard top