Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hard Riding 2013 JK

Old 09-09-2024, 02:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Riding 2013 JK

My 2013 JK has always been babied never modified and driven on the West Texas roads after 161K miles it became evident I needed to change the Shocks which I replaced the original stock ones with Fox 2.0s. SHe handles better but she rides hard. She rattles as she hits all the bumps in the road, speed bumps etc that can't be avoided. What should I do to get her to ride like when she came off the lot?
Any advice or opinions would be gladly welcome.
Old 09-09-2024, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 403 Likes on 378 Posts

What Tire size? What Air Pressure? What Ply Tires? All these are good place to start. Air pressure (factory spec) are on the door jam / door = Drivers side that is the # for OEM size tires. The shocks could be more firm and this would contribute. For non-OEM size tires look up Chalk Test on youtube.
Old 09-10-2024, 03:55 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jay2013jk
What Tire size? What Air Pressure? What Ply Tires? All these are good place to start. Air pressure (factory spec) are on the door jam / door = Drivers side that is the # for OEM size tires. The shocks could be more firm and this would contribute. For non-OEM size tires look up Chalk Test on youtube.
thanks for the reply everything is OEM and tire pressure is as recommended
Old 09-10-2024, 05:14 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,691 Posts

It's all about the shocks IMO. Those Fox 2.0 are just stiff, as most gas-charged shocks are gonna be. Bilstein 5100's would be the same. I think best you could do is possibly go to an adjustable shock and crank it way down, or just ditch gas-charged options to get back to more of a factory ride. The Fox shocks are a good shock but unless you have a huge tire that you can run at low pressure, which would soak up some of those bumps, then you're gonna have a pretty rough ride.
Old 09-10-2024, 02:15 PM
JK Newbie

Default ​​​​​​​Thanks for the reply really appreciate your insight.

Originally Posted by resharp001
It's all about the shocks IMO. Those Fox 2.0 are just stiff, as most gas-charged shocks are gonna be. Bilstein 5100's would be the same. I think best you could do is possibly go to an adjustable shock and crank it way down, or just ditch gas-charged options to get back to more of a factory ride. The Fox shocks are a good shock but unless you have a huge tire that you can run at low pressure, which would soak up some of those bumps, then you're gonna have a pretty rough ride.
Thanks for the reply really appreciate your insight.
Old 09-10-2024, 02:22 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Have to say, "good" or "best" is all relative to each person's build and use. I mean, there are a lot of excellent shocks out there that would likely be the same for your use considering the ride quality you're looking for. A lot of times this can be a can't-have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too situation. For me, my build is pretty customized at this point, and I have to go by the best shock lengths for my specific front/rear situations. That really limits my options, so I accept a rougher ride than I'd prefer myself for the benefit of my offroad articulation. I feel ya
Old 09-10-2024, 02:25 PM
JK Newbie

My 17 year old daughter is inheriting the JK I guess she will have to get use to it. lol

Quick Reply: Hard Riding 2013 JK