Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hard to change spark plugs?

Old 07-06-2008, 10:38 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default passenger side plugs

Originally Posted by skipper
With my TJ I went in too deep water and sucked water in the air filter. I had to revove the plugs and dry it out, before going again.

The JK plugs on the right side (facing forward) look impossible to remove, especially in the field. Has anyone changed them yet?

Hopefully I learned my lesson on water depth, and yes I will eventually get a snorkel, but I still want to know how to change the plugs.
Tom
Hi Tom- I looked at my JK, it looks like you can work from your knees on the top of the front bumper using your left arm and a 3/8 ratchet and a sparkplug socket. Once you thread your hand down beneath plug level there is actually quite a bit of room. If uncomfortable you could always add a 3/8 swivel. Study it a bit, from the top of the frame rail to the bottom of the battery box it is actually quite open...
Old 07-06-2008, 10:44 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
I agree 100%, but the only thing you left out (and REAL important) is to use some anti-sieze compound on the spark plug threads. Leave this step out and you're certainly askin fer trouble.
LOL leave it to me to give 15 minutes of advice and leave out the most important step.....
Old 07-07-2008, 05:43 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TINMAN080
LOL leave it to me to give 15 minutes of advice and leave out the most important step.....
Don't worry buddy, I got your back. I just hope you got mine too, cause I could screw up a 500 pound block of cast iron. LOL
Old 07-07-2008, 08:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The PM was off topic, that's probably why it was a PM. He saw in my signature I had a steering stabilizer discounect. He wanted to know if it is different from a sway bar disconnect. Yes. The Steering stabilizer disconnect was an Option on the X (standard on the Rubicon). It disconnects the steering stabilizer, which is a long rod that connects the left and right front wheels. The sway bars are separate bars at each wheel. I think I got that right.
Tom
Old 07-07-2008, 08:38 AM
JK Freak

Sorry I can't help you as I havent tried to change mine yet, but it reminds me of way back when I had a 69 Mach 1 mustang with a 428 CJ. It was a 4 hr. job for me to change the plugs!!
Old 07-07-2008, 08:44 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
I agree 100%, but the only thing you left out (and REAL important) is to use some anti-sieze compound on the spark plug threads. Leave this step out and you're certainly askin fer trouble.
I always use some Dielectric Grease in the boots too. It keeps out moisture and prevent the boot from seizing to the plug.

Quick Reply: Hard to change spark plugs?