Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hard to change spark plugs?

Old 07-05-2008, 08:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard to change spark plugs?

With my TJ I went in too deep water and sucked water in the air filter. I had to revove the plugs and dry it out, before going again.

The JK plugs on the right side (facing forward) look impossible to remove, especially in the field. Has anyone changed them yet?

Hopefully I learned my lesson on water depth, and yes I will eventually get a snorkel, but I still want to know how to change the plugs.
Tom
Old 07-05-2008, 09:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Skipper sent you a PM!
Old 07-06-2008, 06:19 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Geeper4x4
Skipper sent you a PM!
i am wondering this too. can Skipper send me a PM ? the one closest to the firewall is the one i'm having difficulty with. thanx Skipper
Old 07-06-2008, 07:13 AM
JK Newbie

PM??

Why PM a request of this nature? Already someone else is wanting the benifit of knowing the answer. Guess sparkplug removal is a "top secret, need to know basis" kind of operation.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:29 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tips on sparkplugs

(1) NEVER attempt to remove or install a spark plug in an aluminum head when the engine is HOT. This is an EXCELLENT way to STRIP the threads as you are dealing with dissimilar metals seizing up when hot. (2) ALWAYS clean the spark plug holes of any dust/ mud/ grease etc. This can cause a plug to loosen down the road resulting in a ''spit '' spark plug . ( blowing out on the road or trail). (3) NEVER thread a spark plug down in a deep hole with your fingertips. You will crossthread it. Cut a 6'' piece of vacuum hose, push the upper end of the sparkplug into it and use it as a ''guide'' to screw the plug into the hole. (4) Dropping a spark plug on the driveway will probably ruin it. Any cracks or chips on the porcelin will cause the plug to ''bleed'' voltage resulting in an engine ''miss''. (4) ALWAYS use a sparkplug socket. It has a rubber liner that will (a) keep the plug from falling out and breaking (b) prevent the plug from binding and cracking the porcelin. (5) REMEMBER to gap the plugs....AND to use anti-seize compound on the threads

Last edited by TINMAN080; 07-06-2008 at 10:41 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hes asking about the plugs on the right side of the engine I think?
Old 07-06-2008, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Geeper4x4
Skipper sent you a PM!
Need Skipper to post his PM
Old 07-06-2008, 06:48 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TINMAN080
(1) NEVER attempt to remove or install a spark plug in an aluminum head when the engine is HOT. This is an EXCELLENT way to STRIP the threads as you are dealing with dissimilar metals seizing up when hot. (2) ALWAYS clean the spark plug holes of any dust/ mud/ grease etc. This can cause a plug to loosen down the road resulting in a ''spit '' spark plug . ( blowing out on the road or trail). (3) NEVER thread a spark plug down in a deep hole with your fingertips. You will crossthread it. Cut a 6'' piece of vacuum hose, push the upper end of the sparkplug into it and use it as a ''guide'' to screw the plug into the hole. (4) Dropping a spark plug on the driveway will probably ruin it. Any cracks or chips on the porcelin will cause the plug to ''bleed'' voltage resulting in an engine ''miss''. (4) ALWAYS use a sparkplug socket. It has a rubber liner that will (a) keep the plug from falling out and breaking (b) prevent the plug from binding and cracking the porcelin. (5) REMEMBER to gap the plugs....

I agree 100%, but the only thing you left out (and REAL important) is to use some anti-sieze compound on the spark plug threads. Leave this step out and you're certainly askin fer trouble.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=RedneckJeep;582367]I agree 100%, but the only thing you left out (and REAL important) is to use some anti-sieze compound on the spark plug threads. Leave this step out and you're certainly askin fer trouble.[/QU
No one has answered the original question yet. No PM's..... post the message for all of us to see please.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:44 PM
JK Freak

Default dissapointment on two levels...

i didn't get the answer in a PM or in the thread.

i know how to do a tune-up, just can't see an easy way to get at that 6th plug...any suggestions?

why i need to know: the Mudboss is backfiring like crazy. all the time, every day! still from idol to around 2000 rpm's. i'm thinking the plugs might be bad b/c i stalled going through water.
thanx all

Quick Reply: Hard to change spark plugs?