Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Grunt When Shifting Transmission (auto)

Old 12-21-2010, 01:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, I am starting to think it IS a brake issue. The noise is sometimes made when you work the break, and doesn't seem to happen without the break being pressed in. In addition, it doesn't seem to be nearly as loud if you push the brake down very hard.

Also, as someone else posted, it only seems to happen when the car is first started up, I am glad it seems to be a normal thing, not really a problem.

Seems like there are two camps here though: brake and nonbrake groans.

any further thoughts??
Old 12-22-2010, 04:38 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by KJJK

no, thats not what we are talking about here.
Then what are you taking about?
Old 12-23-2010, 03:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

there's a noise thast comes from the tranny when you shift from park to drive or reverse. I'll try to get a video of it as it's hard to describe.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine does it periodically as well... its not the brakes and it sounds more like an actuator activating.... I've had the brake noise as well and its completely different.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:50 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by littlecricket
Mine does it periodically as well... its not the brakes and it sounds more like an actuator activating.... I've had the brake noise as well and its completely different.
I think it's normal. Mine does it, but I'll ask about it when I go to the dealer for some work next week. AFAIK, it's an actuator though.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:47 PM
JK Newbie

there's a noise thast comes from the tranny when you shift from park to drive or reverse. I'll try to get a video of it as it's hard to describe.
I got ya now! The one thing common to both ranges is the low-rev band. Some times they can make a little noise when it stops the the gear set, does the engine rpm raise much when shifting between ranges??
Old 12-25-2010, 01:45 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sparky09
It's the drive train wraping up on the brakes, kinda like when your at a stop light and you let it creep by reducing brake pedal pressure and it moves a little and you get that groan, nothing to worry about it's just cold pads and an elevated engine idle ,
sparky... im amazed with your avatar... like for real, i cant stop looking at it.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:53 PM
JK Newbie

i know what the groan the brakes make when easing up on them at a red light or stop sign. the other day after driving a while i stopped at a 7-11 and when i got back in to drive off it made a vibration noise when i went from park to reverse. i had my brakes all the way down, the tired didnt move, so i know for sure it wasnt the break pads or anything. shit, the jeep didnt even move a millimeter. the sound came from the tranny. my jeeps always done this, but now im wondering if its a start of something worse.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine makes noise when shifting, as well. It kinda sounds like a "buzzing" noise. It lasts under a second going from N to D or R.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine does it also, it sounds sort or like 3 clicks but it sounds like an actuator definitely, kind of strange

Quick Reply: Grunt When Shifting Transmission (auto)