Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Ground Clearance

Old 06-11-2010, 04:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, if as stated the Rubi has different springs and a higher ride hight (I believe it's the equvalent of a 2" lift) and clearance is measured at the underside of the body and not the centre of the diff, then there's your answer.

Just like getting the popular 3" lift but not changing wheels or tires (usually the primary reason for getting a lift in the first place); the diff's are still the same distance off the ground but your underbody is now 3" higher and less likely to get hung up on rocks & stuff as your breakover angle is increased.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, now I am really going to boggle the mind. Is a 2" lift on a sport the same as on a Rubi, if the spring rates are different. In theory, a 2" lift can handle 35" tires on a Rubi and 33" tires on a sport.

That said, a 3" coil lift on a Rubi only yields a 1" total lift.

By 2" lift... I mean budget boost.

Last edited by 2climbbig; 06-14-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2climbbig
Actually, they don't use the diff for the lowest, but rather the lowest point outside of the diff which is your gas tank at mid section.

I would think clearance would mean how much clearance the Jeep would have driving over an object before it hits the object. That lowest point would be the center of the diffs.

A stock JK gas tank at mid section is only 8 to 10 inches from the ground?

Quick Reply: Ground Clearance