Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Groaning noise under flex with stock '08 JKU Rubi

Old 04-07-2011, 06:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Groaning noise under flex with stock '08 JKU Rubi

The short of it is that under good amounts of flex I hear a "groaning" rub noise coming from the rear wheel well that has a tire stuffed in it. I have the stock Jeep BFG 32"s with no suspension mods. I'm guessing it's the tread knuckles rubbing in the well. I think I see rub marks but not sure. Anyone else experience this noise? I thought it was the hardtop shifting on the tub lip at first.

Thanks!
Old 04-07-2011, 11:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

that could be it or it could be just suspension noise from the rear track bar, not necessarily binding but reaching maximum articulation. It shouldn't be a problem.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

See if your rear flares are loose. That is what it sounds like as you are knocking them off... I had my 32's get into them a couple times at full flex before the lift. Now I have 35's, more lift, and I cut the flares down. It grinds and moans for entirely different reasons now.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Any pics of where you think it may be rubbing??
The marks where I think the rubbing occurs are very light but I'll try to snap a pic next week or next time (this weekend) I stuff some tread up there. Camping with the boy until Sunday (Cub Scouts - they frown on flexing during Scouting ).
Old 04-12-2011, 12:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Any pics of where you think it may be rubbing??
The marks are REALLY light but in between these recesses you'll see a slight rub marks... This is the right rear well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rubi_wheel_well.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	149391

Quick Reply: Groaning noise under flex with stock '08 JKU Rubi