Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Grinding "Zipper" noise

Old 01-07-2011, 03:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding "Zipper" noise

Ill try to describe this as best I can.

I have a 2010 JK auto tranny. I have no problem putting it from park down to drive. The grinding (what it really sounds like is a zipper being done up, but a little louder) happens only when moving the shifter from drive into reverse and up into park.

For example : I get home, am stopped in the driveway. I move the shifter from the drive position and into neutral with no issues. When moving through neutral and into reverse I hear that "zipper" sound as I described. Again when moving through reverse and into park I also hear it.

Just to clarify, the sound is only heard when moving the shifter in the example I described, not when starting from the parked position. Also the sound sounds like its comming from the area not to far under the shifter.

Anyone had this problem or know what it might be? Im taking it in on monday to get it looked at by the dealer's "tranny guy", this was the dealer suggestion. Can you guys give me any insight as to what it might be? I really dont want the dealer to just blow this off as "nothing" or "normal" and have it be a major issue once warranty is up.

Quick Reply: Grinding "Zipper" noise