Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Grinding sound when turning...

Old 11-03-2013, 06:04 AM
-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please update on what you guys found out.

My buddy is experiencing a similar noise on hard-right turns only, both forwards and backwards. It feels like a control arm mount is broken (experience on one of my previous jeeps). But, I can't find anything wrong - rubbing, signs of future catastrophic damage, etc.

Your insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by Blank1984; 03-24-2015 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:22 PM
JK Newbie

Anyone? My stock 2014 JKU rubicon makes this noise occasionally I have 2100 miles. It previous only did it on right turns but today did it going left. It doesn't do it every time. Maybe 6 times in 2 months of ownership. I've never taken it to the dealer because it doesn't happen regularly.

I was thinking something was rubbing like the tires but I don't see anything and its not even full lock turns. Just pulling out on to a road while accelerating normally
Old 08-18-2021, 07:51 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sunbaja
I'm having the same problem. I have a Rubicon Express 3.5" lift and 35" BFG Mud Terrain tires. I've checked under the front when someone turned the wheel back and forth and nothing is rubbing. I get a pretty loud grinding sound when going at slow speeds (5-20mph) when turning left or right. Also when backing out of a parking space. I do get the ESB light coming on in tight corners too when going at higher speeds. I feel the grind in the steering wheel and sometimes the brake pedal. I had the brakes checked recently and everything looked good with 85% pads. I do have the stock steering box so not sure if that needs to be upgraded or not. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Im having this exact problem. Slow speed left turns with the brake applied I feel grinding in the pedal. ABS, traction control, and downhill assist lights come on similar to a wheel speed sensor. I’ve checked everything and can’t figure out what is causing it.

2017 JKUR, 35” BFG KO2, 4” lift
Old 08-29-2021, 08:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Add one more

Just started for me. Wondering if a bad axle joint could be binding?

Old 08-30-2021, 04:42 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Originally Posted by jcox
ABS, traction control, and downhill assist lights come on similar to a wheel speed sensor. I’ve checked everything and can’t figure out what is causing it.
Usually when you got all these lights coming on, a code will be thrown/stored in the ABS module. Any scanner that can read the ABS (more than a basic OBDII) should spot a code which will likely indicate a specific wheel sensor that triggered it.
Old 08-30-2021, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Solved mine

Just to clarify: very slow right turn, got a metal grinding feel through the pedal. Went away as I would speed up, even when turning. ABS & traction light on.

problem: wheel bearings are shot. Speed sensor covered in gunk and some metal shavings. Wheel bearing hub assembly with 3 year warranty at autozone is $205 ($136 for 1 yr). Jack up the Jeep and see if you have any play at with the tire.
Old 08-30-2021, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

Grinding during turning? First place I would look is the axle u-joints and the unit bearings if a code is thrown. Sometimes (eg mine) they don't even make a noise and can be really buggered like my left one was. Dry as a popcorn fart it was.

Last edited by Sixty4x4; 08-30-2021 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-30-2021, 07:20 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by diver_matt
problem: wheel bearings are shot. Speed sensor covered in gunk and some metal shavings. Wheel bearing hub assembly with 3 year warranty at autozone is $205 ($136 for 1 yr). Jack up the Jeep and see if you have any play at with the tire.
I have experienced similar, though I have a hub conversion kit on mine so more of a traditional bearing/spindle setup. The "gunk" on the ABS would most likely be grease as they come with grease on em in that unit bearing assembly, but the metal is pretty interesting. I can see the bearing be shot to the point that the tone ring contacts the ABS which is what I experienced, but there must have been nasty stuff going on inside to see metal shavings on the ABS sensor. In my case bad bearings would lead to the tone ring hitting the ABS sensor and in short order it would be enough to completely kill the sensor.
Old 08-30-2021, 07:24 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
Grinding during turning?
I can see how a really bad ABS issue is described that way by some as you're getting a pulsating peddle (from what I recall during my issues) and some odd sounds.

Quick Reply: Grinding sound when turning...