Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

grinding noise in front when in 4wd

Old 11-04-2010, 10:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grinding noise in front when in 4wd

like it says, we took the jeep out to play on the trails and had to get into 4wd. everything ran fine but when i had to engage 4wd lo everytime i turned sharp it would grind. of course i only did it 2 or 3 times until i noticed but still cannot be good. today i took it to the dealer to have it checked out. considering it only has 15,xxx miles im hoping it is nothing too bad. but i would like them to find something! will keep posted
Old 11-04-2010, 10:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe a dumb question, but were you disconnected? if so, are you sure your tires werent rubbing on your sway bar links? are you on factory wheels? if so, are you using wheel spacers?
Old 11-04-2010, 10:37 AM
JK Super Freak

no i was connected. and yeah my tires do rub a bit at full turn at certain angles. but this was more of a grind rather the rubbing.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like your front driveshaft is toast and grinding metal on metal or the bearings are gone. That's what mine was ding... get underneath and check to see of the rubber boot at the T-Case end is ripped up and if there's grease spatter.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:05 AM
JK Super Freak

didnt even think to look. its at the dealerhip right now.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by aermotor
Sounds like your front driveshaft is toast and grinding metal on metal or the bearings are gone. That's what mine was ding... get underneath and check to see of the rubber boot at the T-Case end is ripped up and if there's grease spatter.
i doubt the boot was ripped based on having a leveling kit only. keep us posted.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:52 PM
JK Super Freak

no locker. i just got it back from the dealer. they checked it and test drove in 4wd. they said it was fine. so i dunno. then they did a update on the system. so who knows. ill try it out in the next day or so and let you guys know. not that a update had anything to do with it . but they did it while it was there
Old 11-04-2010, 02:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

did you look at your drive shaft to see if there was any metal to metal contact between the shaft (not the boot) and the transmission skid plate? mine did the same exact that as you described...
Old 11-04-2010, 03:08 PM
JK Super Freak

yeah i just checked it out. boot is good. shaft looks good and lots of clearance from skid.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:32 PM
JK Freak

Not to insult you or anything but you do know that unless it's very slippery you shouldn't turn sharply in 4WD. The JKs have true 4WD and not AWD. This means that the front axle is tied to the rear axle with no differential in the transfer case (people commonly say that the drivetrain "binds" when you turn tightly in 4WD when not in low traction conditions). So what you were describing may be perfectly normal operation of the 4WD and the reason why it says not to use it except in low traction (mud, snow, ice, etc.). Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: grinding noise in front when in 4wd