Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Grinding into reverse

Old 12-18-2014, 06:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding into reverse

2dr 2015 wrangled. I've had it less then a month and over the last week or so it has been grinding into reverse.
I will be at a complete stop, clutch fully down, Foot on the brake or ebrake still up and when I go into reverse, It will grind heavy and I'll stop and keep it in neutral. Second guess myself. Make sure the clutch is fully in and try again without issue.
I've done this after starting up and just going immediately and after sitting for a few minutes running while I set the address in gps or answered a call.
Felt like the time my dad taught me to drive manual in a derby car. Had me purposely try and push it into reverse while moving to feel what wrong was
Old 12-18-2014, 06:49 PM
JK Newbie

Anyone know what this might be? Before I call the dealership and waste a couple hours in there Service lounge.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put it in first gear first before you put it into reveres and it will never grind. Reverse is not synchronized and will def grind from time to time still if this is not done. I had the same thoughts on the 13.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:39 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

It's the nature of these transmissions to grind, and especially going in to second when the transmission is cold, and into reverse pretty much all of the time. I just put a brand, spanking new one in my Jeep and it still grinds going into reverse most of the time. Been driving standards for fifty years and the transmission for this is absolutely the most disappointing bit of automotive engineering that I've ever come across. I cannot believe that Mercedes-Benz puts their name on the crate these things come in. They should hang their collective heads in shame!
Old 12-19-2014, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexjeepVb
Put it in first gear first before you put it into reveres and it will never grind. Reverse is not synchronized and will def grind from time to time still if this is not done. I had the same thoughts on the 13.
X2. I always do this, and my '15 has never grinded in any gear.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:24 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks everyone. I'll try the shift to first, idea before bringing it into the dealership. I usually park it in neutral with the ebrake. (Bad?)
She never sits for longer then a day.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:18 PM
JK Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GTA-Dan
Thanks everyone. I'll try the shift to first, idea before bringing it into the dealership. I usually park it in neutral with the ebrake. (Bad?)
Of the 7 or 8 manual transmission rigs I've owned including this one, I've always done the 1st or 2nd before reverse thing, otherwise they all were either hard to get in or did grind. Like was said its not synch
Old 12-19-2014, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by GTA-Dan
I would leave it in first when you park it. I never trust the e-brake to hold it.
The following users liked this post:
A B (03-04-2020)
Old 12-19-2014, 12:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Same here, reverse on my 2011 frequently grinds unless i go into another gear first. Kinda just got used to it
Old 12-19-2014, 02:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexjeepVb
This ^^^^

Always. With any stick shift unless some transmissions have started putting synchro rings on reverse.

Quick Reply: Grinding into reverse