Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Grinding / Dragging Noise at Drivers Front Wheel - Any ideas?

Old 11-17-2007, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have finally found the source of the noise- and it was not a wheel bearing or pinion seal! Its the AIRAID INTAKE! The filter must have gotten just enough dirt in it to cause a specific air flow issue and the air rushing over the throttle body caused a harmonic tone that mimics a bearing sound or 'squeek' I replace the factory airbox to confirm that it was the sourcd , and IT WAS! I will be returning my AIRAID and replace it with a different brand or modify my factory air box and add a K&N air filter.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:17 AM
JK Newbie

My passanger side axle seals where leaking and causing this noise. The dealer could not find the problem at first till i showed them the slight leak i found after washing the jeep coming back from Morris Mountain.

The replaced everything on that side of the jeep just to make sure.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:56 AM
JK Newbie

Mine is making a grinding sound usually in a long right hand corner and no its not the ESP kicking in (no light) almost feels like a tire is rubbing (after carefully checking it is not rubbing). After reading all the post I took it to my local offroad shop - not a jeep dealer. He specializes in 97 and newer Jeeps only. After inspecting everything on the front end and driving it several times he told me to put my hand on the inside of the brake where I could feel a slight grinding vibration when the jeep was moved to the right and left. He is confident it is my unit bearing.

By the way I am in the process of installing a 44 front axle right now however it is a two wheel drive so not front diff and the same noise to the tee everyone is suggesting.

I have an appointment today at the shop, hopefully I have a better experience with the tech.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:46 AM
JK Newbie

TSB - Squeal-Like Sound From Front Axle Pinion Gear Flange And Seal
November 07th, 2007 | Category: Jeep JK TSB & Recalls, Drivetrain TSB
NUMBER: 03-003-07
GROUP: Axle
DATE: November 07, 2007

SUBJECT:
Squeal-Like Sound From Front Axle Pinion Gear Flange And Seal

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves the replacement of the front axle pinion gear flange slinger and seal.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience a squeal-like sound from the front axle. The sound will increase or decrease with vehicle speed. The sound may be more noticeable at low vehicle and engine speeds. This condition may be due to an interference between the front axle pinion gear seal and the pinion gear flange oil slinger.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Had the same noise with mine at about 3,000 miles. Now, with a little over 10,000 miles, the noise is gone. Don't know if it's because it's colder or what. No leaks either anywhere. Hope it's gone for good!
Old 03-06-2008, 05:43 AM
JK Newbie

Picked mine up from Grubbs last night. Talked to a tech and he siad he took the bearing out and they were ok, three diferent techs drove it actually about 30 miles, couldn't here anything. They ended up blaming it own gravel or something that got cought in the brakes. I'll see if it comes back.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine does it from the front left while turning right . I only have 40 miles on mine and you can SEE the wear on the outboard side of the rotor.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Took mine in and they replaced the rotor and pads and it STILL makes the noise!
Old 03-07-2008, 08:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine was the pinion seal which was figured out by this forum long before DC got around to issuing the TSB.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Gunny
Took mine in and they replaced the rotor and pads and it STILL makes the noise!
Jack up the front wheel and see if you can rock the wheel from top to bottom or left to right. I'm thinking excessive play in the wheel bearings or something else.

Quick Reply: Grinding / Dragging Noise at Drivers Front Wheel - Any ideas?