Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Grinding / Dragging Noise at Drivers Front Wheel - Any ideas?

Old 09-01-2007, 09:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Everyone,

Just an FYI. I had the pinion seal changed on my JK about 1200 miles ago and the noise stopped, but it is now back.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:43 PM
JK Newbie

Smile

I had the screeching noise, too. Everytime I rolled onto my street after a 20+ mile commute, I screeched all the way home. Makes you feel like a real dufus. Especially loud when you are going really slow and hearing it off cars parked or side of the house.

Anyway, it stopped on its own about 10 days ago. I just hit 4000 miles on the odometer. I don't know. Have my fingers crossed, and will let you know if it comes back. Maybe it finally rubbed its way out. (no dealership intervention, hooray!)

There is still hope out there.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:17 PM
JK Newbie

Smile

My Sahara Unlimited has 3300 miles on it and had the grinding problem for about 3 weeks but for some reason just went away last week and is still quiet. Hopefully it will stay that way.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:24 PM
JK Newbie

Reviewing threads and noticed your location. I'm in Brunswick
Old 09-15-2007, 12:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Can you guys take a pic of the pinion seal thats goes bad or dries up.

Thanks

Mike
Old 10-01-2007, 11:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Went to the dealer for the squeak today and they said it was the brakes. So they had to order new rotors and pads and reschedule because for warranty they just cant get it out of parts dept-BS-

Anyway I told them its not the brakes but thats the route they want to take. I get free brakes and later a pinion seal
Old 10-02-2007, 05:23 AM
JK Newbie

I brought my JK into the dealership I bought from (as opposed to the Jeep dealership that is super close to where I live and work, but is seeminly opposed to providing decent service) to address the "squeal/squeek" noise. The drive to the dealership was annoying because the noise was suddenly gone, and it had been quite loud the previous day.

Tech drove around with me and heard a noise that he described as "howling", popped the hood and had me rev the engine. Took it back into the bay and the service manager came out and told me that they think it's the water pump.

Water pump?!?!

They're ordering a new pump so I have to go back in a few days.

I've decided that the noise is much louder on warm/hot days. We're heading into fall weather here and on cooler days I've noticed that the noise is either gone altogether or more intermittent and overall quieter.

I'll update after the pump is replaced.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

I posted this on another thread, but applies here.....

mines doing it...took it to the dealer....he says what noise we dont hear it.....drive home and there's the noise....even my wife can hear it. Another forum claims the following (which I told my dealer about - he gave me a lecture on internet groups...I guess they like to do things the old fashioned way ) anyhow....the quote:

"The noise is probably coming from the pinion seal dust boot contacting the front diff yoke . The seal is dry causing noise , so far we have repaired 10 vehicles we sold by lubricating the seal with synthetic grease and the noise has gone on all of them."

So I pulled off front drive shaft tonite and my air gun does not have the juice to get the pinion nut off....oh well, looks like I get a new air gun!!

Anyways, I'll let ya know what happens once I get me a new impact gun (SNAP-On Impact Wrench, Air, Heavy Duty, 1/2" Drive (50-450 ft. lb.) - should do it....

Heres a blow up of the part - No.#4 I do believe needs a shot of grease....

http://my.project-jk.com/showphoto.php?photo=11692

Last edited by JEEPJK; 10-17-2007 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:08 AM
JK Newbie

JEEPJK,

I'm the OP and I also had a similar "You can't really believe what you see on the Internet" discussion with my dealer. So, here's what I did.

I first got them to agree that there was a noise in my JK. Took some doing, but I got the tech to drive as I rode and he finally heard it. Put it on the lift in 4wd low and the noise was "gone". But he did hear the noise so they asked me to come back in about a week when they could devote some time to it. I mentioned to the tech / service advisor about what the board members said about the pinion seal being the probem and I got a look like "thanks for the help, but we'll figure it out" and the "you can't really believe all you see on the Internet" talk.

So, I left, but just before I took my JK in for the appointment, I printed out all the responses from the board about the issue and left the printout on my passenger seat. I didn't apply any pressure or try to tell them how to do their job, I just left the reponses in plain sight so they can read if they wanted to.

And guess what... they figured out it was a pinion seal after all

So, maybe it's the fact I didn't pressure them into accepting my answer, I just left the info for their use.

BTW - Since replacing the pinion seal about 3XXX miles ago the noise is gone.

Best of luck in getting yours fixed!
Old 10-18-2007, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Add me to the list of people who have the highly annoying grinding/sqeak sound from the passenger front wheel area.
Took my jeep to the closest dealer and they didn't do $%^&. On the phone, they said that it was caused by the brakes, or the rotors need to be turned. I mentioned this thread and they also said they don't believe internet forums. Funny how the only real place to get answers to strange problems like this are COMPLETELY discounted by the dealers. The rest of the conversation didn't go so well so I simply picked up my jeep. After reading the service order, I noticed a THIRD reason why the noise is there. They wrote that I replaced my brake pads and bent the "scheecher" or something to that effect. So now I only drive to work until I can find a decent shop to get it fixed.

Quick Reply: Grinding / Dragging Noise at Drivers Front Wheel - Any ideas?