Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Grinding / Dragging Noise at Drivers Front Wheel - Any ideas?

Old 08-11-2007, 11:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeep2Times
Has anyone experieced a grinding / dragging noise coming from the front driver's side of their JK? I've recently noticed such a noise coming from my JK; I hear it when going slow, hitting the breaks doesn't change it, but it does seem to go away just before I come to a complete stop. (Man, I feel like someone on one of those mechanic commericals trying to explain this...)
Mine has done this since the day I got it. Only happens to me when I take a turn too fast and apply brake. I thought it was just ESP? Maybe we're experiencing different things but it sounds pretty similar.

When it happens can you feel the grinding in the pedals or steering wheel?

**EDIT** sorry, didn't realize there was a second page. Looks very unrelated.

Last edited by DeepSky; 08-11-2007 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:37 AM
JK Newbie

I had the same noise too.
Brought it to the dealer who was instructed by DC to lift the Jeep on a lift, put it in 1st and start to accelerate.
The noise will get much worse even though i had to be doing 40 mph to get the noise to start.

Well DC knows there are a bunch of Jeeps out there with faulty front drive shafts.
The dealer replaced the who piece and the noise and issue is now gone.

All this came after 2 sets of front axel seals that had to be replaced twice due to DC sending the wrong seals in the first place.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:28 AM
JK Newbie

I just got back from a 3 day 500 mi. trip on and off road in the mountains and noticed the squealing/grinding noise while coming to a stop. Had quite a bit of mud splashed up so I washed thoroughly and the noise stopped for a day. Now it's back and I'd like to hear recommdations from those of you that have gotten the problem corrected satisfactorily. In searching the threads it sounds like this is a common problem but I had a hard time figuring out if there is a common fix. I'd like to communicate the problem clear to my dealer and minimize trips to dealer service if possible. Thanks
Old 08-25-2007, 03:57 PM
JK Newbie

I'm the OP and having the front pinion seal replaced got rid of my problem. Haven't put many miles on since the fix, but it's been over a month and the problem's gone.

Other Jeepers have PM'd me and said replacing the pinion seal fixed their JK as well.

Last edited by Jeep2Times; 08-26-2007 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:47 PM
JK Newbie

JEEP2TIMES,
WHERE ABOUTS ARE YOU IN OHIO? I LIVE CLOSE TO CLEVELAND.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by GBG214
JEEP2TIMES,
WHERE ABOUTS ARE YOU IN OHIO? I LIVE CLOSE TO CLEVELAND.
I'm located in the Columbus burbs. Still can't say I'm a Bucks fan... nor a Browns fan either.

Lived in Pittsburgh for years before moving to Columbus, so I have to say
"Go Stillers!"

Jeep2Times
Old 08-28-2007, 01:54 AM
JK Newbie

Default Grinding Dragging Noise

The same thing happened to me yesterday after driving 100 miles on the highway. Didn't notice the sound until I pulled off the road and was going slow. Pulled over to look at my wheels and seen nothing. When I took back off it lasted a few more feet and then went away. I went to the car wash and sprayed the wheel area just in case. I couldn't duplicate sound again. If it returns I will take back to dealership to be looked at. Reading the other complaints I'm sure that this will happen again.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:28 AM
JK Newbie

Default joined the club

I've got the squeeling noise but with a twist .... yesterday my ESP light turned on! I was driving straight into my driveway when that happened.

Got an appointment for tomorrow morning. I'm going to print this thread out and bring it along with me!
Old 08-30-2007, 12:30 PM
JK Newbie

I'm SUPER p*ssed.

Dropped my JK off at the dealership this morning to have them check out the squealing/grinding noise. I heard the noise the entire drive from my house to the service department.

They couldn't replicate the noise and they drove it "a lot". They said it's normal for the ESP light to go off in certain situations and I said "like when I'm pulling into my driveway at 5mph and NOT turning the wheel"????

I drove off the lot, there was the noise. I looked at the odometer. They put 3 miles on my car. 3 miles is not "a lot" of driving ...

I went back and grabbed a tech so he could hear the noise. He heard it. I mentioned that it gets a little bit louder the longer I drive it and he told me to bring it back the next time it's loud. WTF???

This isn't the dealership I bought it from because I had to travel 40 miles away to get mine. This is the dealership I refused to buy from since I felt they were priced to high and since they were not willing to work with me. I was hoping to have a different experience with the service dept. but I guess this particular place just sucks from top to bottom.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by KebbaJeep
I'm SUPER p*ssed.

Dropped my JK off at the dealership this morning to have them check out the squealing/grinding noise. I heard the noise the entire drive from my house to the service department.

They couldn't replicate the noise and they drove it "a lot". They said it's normal for the ESP light to go off in certain situations and I said "like when I'm pulling into my driveway at 5mph and NOT turning the wheel"????

I drove off the lot, there was the noise. I looked at the odometer. They put 3 miles on my car. 3 miles is not "a lot" of driving ...

I went back and grabbed a tech so he could hear the noise. He heard it. I mentioned that it gets a little bit louder the longer I drive it and he told me to bring it back the next time it's loud. WTF???

This isn't the dealership I bought it from because I had to travel 40 miles away to get mine. This is the dealership I refused to buy from since I felt they were priced to high and since they were not willing to work with me. I was hoping to have a different experience with the service dept. but I guess this particular place just sucks from top to bottom.
KebbaJeep,

I'm sorry to hear about your trip to the dealership and their "service" department. Don't despair, there are good dealers out there. Since my family's been Jeep owners for a while and the JK is my third one, it takes a while to find a dealer that's willing to work with you and not just say "that's within specs" or another blow off answer.

I've found that I've gotten better service at my selling dealer, each time I've taken one of our Jeeps in for service. A Jeep owner should, in my opinion, get great service from any dealer, but that's not what I've seen.

Hopefully you're near another dealer that might be a better fit for your and your Jeep.

Best of luck in getting your JK fixed. I know I was much happier when mine was fixed. A new vehicle that costs nearly $30K shouldn't sound like an old beater when there's with less than 4k on the odometer.

Jeep2Times

Quick Reply: Grinding / Dragging Noise at Drivers Front Wheel - Any ideas?