Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Griffin Radiator 5-00152 Install --> AFE Bladerunner GT Update

Old 11-03-2023, 11:33 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Y, no issues. As suggested by many, I used blue threadloc on the upper bolts and did not crank them down completely, leaving a little wiggle room for things to flex. My only real complaint is/was just not having those spots to anchor my tranny line to on the bottom driver's side, but not end of the world.

In regard to coolant, I just stick with Mopar OAT. I buy the concentrate from my local dealer and it's really not that much more expensive than the Zerex I use in all our other vehicles. I always an and extra gallon around and take it with me on long "real" wheelin trips far from home like an adventure to Moab. On a serious trip I am as self sufficient as possible and take all my trail fluids, so being caught needing a special coolant isn't really a big deal for me, and locally it's available.
The following users liked this post:
J. Dub (11-03-2023)
Old 11-03-2023, 02:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001

In regard to coolant, I just stick with Mopar OAT.
I am guessing you use mopar OAT cause you have a 2012-2018 JK - JKU?
Thank you for the feedack.
Old 11-03-2023, 02:22 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Correct. My jeep is a '13 and I bought it brand new. I believe that up through '12 they used HOAT, but I'd have to research to verify. I'm like 90% sure that is correct, then in '13 they moved to OAT. I just stuck with OAT since that is what was in it, and tbh, with the cost not being absurd, I didn't care to deal with wondering if I got a good 100% flush to get the old stuff out. I didn't care to deal with flushing the HC and all.
Old 11-03-2023, 02:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Y, no issues. As suggested by many, I used blue threadloc on the upper bolts and did not crank them down completely, leaving a little wiggle room for things to flex. My only real complaint is/was just not having those spots to anchor my tranny line to on the bottom driver's side, but not end of the world.

In regard to coolant, I just stick with Mopar OAT. I buy the concentrate from my local dealer and it's really not that much more expensive than the Zerex I use in all our other vehicles. I always an and extra gallon around and take it with me on long "real" wheelin trips far from home like an adventure to Moab. On a serious trip I am as self sufficient as possible and take all my trail fluids, so being caught needing a special coolant isn't really a big deal for me, and locally it's available.
have you considered a snorkel? I live in Mn but my coolant always stays cool, like 199-212 all year round
Old 07-13-2024, 11:16 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Well, an unfortunate update today. I had been loosing some coolant, faster than in the past. Every few days my resi would move from max to min and I'd top it off. I have to do some other work on the engine so today I took the 5 minutes to remove the fan shroud to look at the back. This kids is why I'm always saying take the couple minutes to pull the airbox and intake tube, remove the two 10mm bolts and push that fan shroud back so you can see the back of the radiator. These leaks rarely are so bad they allow coolant to the bottom. What I don't get is how this doesn't look worse for the amount of coolant I'm loosing. No other leaks that I can spot so far and I've borescoped under the intake and into the valley best I can with no signs there either. This Griffin lasted me 4 years to the month and 30k miles. Disappointing to say the least.

The real question is now what to do next. I'm considering dropping some real jack on the AFE Bladerunner GT bar and plate design. It's probably crap as well that will not last much longer, but at this point don't know if I don't try, and the additional cooling capacity can't hurt. So tired of these radiators, and tbh, today I'm pretty worn out with this damn jeep in general. You'll see my other update on different thread(s).
Old 07-13-2024, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

If I need a new radiator, I’d likely talk to someone who makes radiators for the guys that abuse them:

Off-Road Radiators | Ron Davis Racing Products

Or someone like this.

People say that our radiators crack because of body/frame flex… maybe that’s true. But either way, I don’t believe the mounts are really that good. I’d likely want to make some new mounts that have an arm about 2” long with rubber isolators on each end. This will allow the arms to flex in all directions and save the radiator from flexing at all.
Old 07-13-2024, 11:30 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

One thing I don't like about the AFE feedback is almost everything I find is from the same individual. I'm pretty depressed at the moment in general. You'll likely see my other update. Also depressing to think of that AFE rad having been $6-800 in the past and see what it is now. I think my hardcore wheeling days are likely in the past. The stuff I do these days is much more mild in regard to exploration and camping. I'm not shy to do hard trails, but that is much MUCH less frequent these days, primarily cuz how my main jeep buddies have moved on from their rigs.
Old 07-13-2024, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

I get it. I have felt the same way lately. I’ve contemplated swapping my Jeep for a gladiator to pull double duty as a household truck and a family camping vehicle. I do miss having a truck bed. And I’d be satisfied with a gladiator kept stock (some mild armor of course). Although, I’d be sad to see my Jeep go. It’s been a labor of love that cost a ton of money.
Old 07-13-2024, 01:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a piece of 2x2, 1/8" wall square tube welded to the rails, just below the radiator and another piece a little behind it. I didn't put those in for the express purpose of trying to protect the radiator from flex, but it is probably helping.
Old 07-16-2024, 06:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Griffin radiators are complete garbage. 1 lasted 8 months, the warranty replacement leaked from day 1 and I put up with it for 4 months before it started pouring out. Leaking in the same exact spot as the picture above. Replaced with a cheap chinese replacement off Amazon...no leaks after a year.

Quick Reply: Griffin Radiator 5-00152 Install --> AFE Bladerunner GT Update