Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Griffin Radiator 5-00152 Install --> AFE Bladerunner GT Update

Old 08-03-2020, 04:12 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Thanks guys. I'll definitely make sure the radiator has some wiggle room in those upper mounts.

We've had a cool streak in the last week and it's only been in the low 90's so I haven't been able to get a good comparison run in yet. It's supposed to heat up again this week in the high 90's so will drive the jeep to work a couple days.
Old 08-06-2020, 02:50 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

So today was a good comparison day with temps up around 98*. Drove the jeep to work to see some results in the afternoon. Coming home I had previously been getting up over 230* regularly and spiking up to 240*, and a few times over that. Today I drove like normal if not trying to push it just a bit harder. So far I would say that my normal operating temps aren't any different. During the normal daytime temps I hover right around 222* which is pretty much the same as before. The difference today was there was no spike in temp at all. I maxed out at 224* during the same drive and comparable ambient temperatures. I can't call this a complete success, but I'm at least optimistic. I'm not bothered that my normal temps aren't any different. I have a winch and 10" LED blocking my radiator and I know I don't get optimal air flow. That is what it is. If I can just keep the temps in that 215-230 range though I'll be satisfied.

Now, one thing that is bothering me is that I keep topping this radiator off. With the old radiators after 2 or 3 top offs if you'd open that cap it would be full. I've topped this sucker off about 10 or more times now and each time I open that cold radiator cap I seem to poor 1/4-1/3c more fluid in and work a bubble out of the upper hose. I see no leaks at the radiator or new WP. I keep thinking one time I'll open it and see it completely full as normal.
Old 09-02-2020, 07:10 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Quick update. I did eventually get that thing completely topped off, but it sure took a long time and way more cooling cycles than I would have expected.

I cut the ends off the old OSC radiator this last weekend to take a look inside. Everything looked good. I saw no problems with it at all that would have lead to issues with spiking temps in the Texas summer other than just not being able to handle it in general. I've yet to see any spikes to really high coolant temps with the new Griffin thus far. Jeep isn't a DD, but I've driven it enough in this heat, and for long enough stretches to say it is performing much better than the previous. It's not running cooler all around or anything, but there are no sustained spikes in temps like I was seeing before.
The following 3 users liked this post by resharp001:
Jay2013jk (09-03-2020), SeaPig53 (06-25-2023), TxCoastie (10-31-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 06:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Quick update. I did eventually get that thing completely topped off, but it sure took a long time and way more cooling cycles than I would have expected.

I cut the ends off the old OSC radiator this last weekend to take a look inside. Everything looked good. I saw no problems with it at all that would have lead to issues with spiking temps in the Texas summer other than just not being able to handle it in general. I've yet to see any spikes to really high coolant temps with the new Griffin thus far. Jeep isn't a DD, but I've driven it enough in this heat, and for long enough stretches to say it is performing much better than the previous. It's not running cooler all around or anything, but there are no sustained spikes in temps like I was seeing before.
Thanks for the info! Any updates (good or bad) since last post in Sep?

I have a coolant leak on my oem radiator. 72k on it. Would like to go American made with Griffin. Better than oem?
Old 11-01-2020, 08:49 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by TxCoastie
Thanks for the info! Any updates (good or bad) since last post in Sep?

I have a coolant leak on my oem radiator. 72k on it. Would like to go American made with Griffin. Better than oem?
Keep in mind my direct comparison was with an OSC that I've had the last several years.....though OSC will say they manufacture to factory specs. Anyhow, it did fix my spiking temps in the Texas heat for the most part, so I'd say it was marginally better. I do think that the people with larger capacity aluminum rads that claim to have lower general operating temps due to the additional capacity are full of bologna. My jeep generally runs the same temps it did before the Griffin, which is a little warmer than a lot of people run. I really think it just has more to do with air flow. I'm sure there are many that have more grill blockage than I do, but here's my set up up front without a recessed winch -

Before I might have told you to just do the Mopar again, but they had a price increase recently and now the dang factory radiator is the same price as the Griffin, though you will need to buy a new cap for the Griffin bringing the total to around $400. Quadratec will discount 5% for JK-Forum members if you're not already aware, and it's worthwhile for a $400 purchase. I do have concerns about the longevity of the Griffin, especially with some aggressive wheelin. Time will tell on that front.

If you have the 3.6L with a tranny cooler, note that the Giffin does not accommodate the lower mount on the driver's side bottom for those lines.
Old 11-01-2020, 10:30 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks!

I have a psc transmission cooler that's mounted in from of my oem radiator.

I take 3-4 wheeling trips per year. I think my main priority would be reliability over performance gains if I had to choose between the two.
Old 11-01-2020, 03:52 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I'd say it's worth a shot given the minimal price difference. I just haven't had it long enough to be able to say it's held up over time.
Old 06-09-2021, 11:53 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
I'd say it's worth a shot given the minimal price difference. I just haven't had it long enough to be able to say it's held up over time.
any update?? Still running cooler?
Old 06-09-2021, 06:59 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by JeepMateo
any update?? Still running cooler?
My jeep isn't a DD, so it's a little harder to say it's really been put through the ringer given my install was late July and I had maybe 2 months of major heat in Aug/Sept last year. It's starting to heat up here in Texas just now so I guess we'll see after the summer. I'm also about to log a 2 week trip to Moab and through Colorado towing my trailer, so that should be a work out. I would continue to say that I don't think it's decreased my normal operating temperature. On cool mornings my jeep is usually around 206*, and during normal days I am usually between 215-222*. What the radiator did seem to control better last summer was spikes up in the 230-240 range which I had been seeing. Once the ambient temps in DFW get around 100 is when I had previously started seeing spikes like that, even during a 30 minute commute on the interstate. I haven't had any issues with the radiator so it's just kinda been ho-hum for the time being.
Old 11-08-2021, 05:24 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I've struggled with a tiny leak at the radiator cap for quite a while. I finally threw another $24 at a new Griffin cap and that seems to have solved that issue. I've reached out to Quadratec as they have a 2-year warranty on that radiator cap......and it's just crickets. No response back. Guess I'll give them a call here one of these days.

Quick Reply: Griffin Radiator 5-00152 Install --> AFE Bladerunner GT Update