Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Greased Steering Cloumn - Still Have Knock in Gas Pedal...

Old 08-04-2010, 06:23 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if putting something like this around the shaft would help..

h ttp://www.thermotec.com
Old 08-09-2010, 06:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just came from the stealership. I got 2 new intermediate shafts. No clunk in the steering on the way home. YAY! we'll see how long it lasts. They didn't know if there was any improvements to the design or materials. So it could be just another soon-to-fail part in 6,000 miles.

CE
Old 08-09-2010, 06:51 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by controlsengineer
I just came from the stealership. I got 2 new intermediate shafts. No clunk in the steering on the way home. YAY! we'll see how long it lasts. They didn't know if there was any improvements to the design or materials. So it could be just another soon-to-fail part in 6,000 miles.

CE
Same part. There has been no re-design on the shaft.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 71Luber
I think the key to this fix is you have to get the grease worked into the splines really well, not just in the boot. The open gear compound gets tackier the more it's worked in the splines. It's basically getting thicker and "gluing" the tiny bit of play in the splines together.

I'm wondering if those who had no success merely put grease in the boot and walked away expecting it to be fixed?
I think you might be right. I remember that I could pull down the boot but still it was hard to get IN there with the grease, even though I was using the little red straw (like the ones on WD40 bottles) that the amsoil grease came with.

Maybe I'll try again sometime. It'll be easier now that there's a normal clamp there. However now that I have the lift on it's harder to get under the hood!
Old 08-09-2010, 09:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
When you greased the shaft did it feel bound up or can you still slide it by hand?
That's what she said!
Old 04-16-2011, 11:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know this thread is a few months old, but this describes exactly my problem. I see a lot of people mention the steering wheel knock, but not so many talk about the knock in the pedal. I find the pedal knock to be more annoying.

Any further updates from you guys? Who has fixed the pedal knock and has not had it return??
Old 04-17-2011, 07:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by spyther
I know this thread is a few months old, but this describes exactly my problem. I see a lot of people mention the steering wheel knock, but not so many talk about the knock in the pedal. I find the pedal knock to be more annoying.

Any further updates from you guys? Who has fixed the pedal knock and has not had it return??
I had my dealer look at this again for the 3rd time last weekend. All the times before they said they could not find anything loose or out of spec. After being really insistent that something was definitely knocking the tech poked around for a while and found a TSB about one of the AC hard lines being positioned to close to something else that was causing dash rattles and other vibrations through the firewall. Not sure the full description, but he said that the way mine was sitting it could pass vibrations down through the pedals. I can't find this TSB he's talking about but he bent the line and zip tied it away from whatever it may have been knocking. I didn't see it before so I'm not sure. But, so far its been gone.

I have to also add though that right before I was in at the dealer I had sleeves, gussets and ca skids done up for my D30. It's fair to say that if something was loose in the front end it may have been tightened back down after the axle was pulled for the welding and then re-installed. But so far so good...
Old 04-27-2011, 07:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did the fix last??

Also all the other people in this thread that reported the grease fix to work for them, did it also fix the pedal knock? Did you guys ever even have the pedal knock and not just the steering wheel knock?

This problem is driving me crazy, and both my jks have had it. What a pita.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by spyther
Did the fix last??

Also all the other people in this thread that reported the grease fix to work for them, did it also fix the pedal knock? Did you guys ever even have the pedal knock and not just the steering wheel knock?

This problem is driving me crazy, and both my jks have had it. What a pita.
Did you try to re-torque the bolts ?
Old 04-28-2011, 01:44 PM
JK Newbie

I had the clunk in the wheel and pedal as well... heat made it worse as described. Brought it in numerous times to the dealship. No lift, stock sahara.

1 - Had them add 5th wheel grease in boot - Only masked the knock, temporarily for a few thousand kms.
2 - Replaces intermediate shaft - Took the pedal and steering wheel knock away, only temporarily, maybe 5000 -6000 kms then started to come back.
3 - Isolated the noise from the box at the pitman arm location... Stealership said there wasn’t enough play, only a loud noise.
4 - Had them re-torque all bolts - No change.

Like others are saying there are multiple things working to cause this.

Other things I was told to try which may help take the slop away/knock:
Larger pitman arm bolt
Larger track bar bolts
Upgrade steering box (still waiting for the aftermarket to produce one)
Brace steering box
Tougher steering shafts

On a side note, a lad I know was having the same issues, and while driving his new completely stock jk on the highway the intermediate shaft snapped and left him stranded on the side of the highway.. Luckily he didn’t kill himself. Hopefully Chrysler will do something soon to fix this problem, and not blame it on aftermarket tires/lifts etc.

Quick Reply: Greased Steering Cloumn - Still Have Knock in Gas Pedal...