Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Greased Steering Cloumn - Still Have Knock in Gas Pedal...

Old 07-27-2010, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does the exact same thing as well, it has 7500 miles now. I have noticed the clunk periodically, gradually getting worse. Sometime it does it, sometimes not. I just figured out today that it has something to do with heat. It seems to me that it is the steering shaft expansion slip joint, where the splines are. I think that the outer part of the slip joint absorbs the heat and expands. The outer tube actually protects the inner tube from the heat, thus it doesn't expand as much. This in turn causes a sloppy fit in the splined joint.

Can anyone concur?
Old 07-27-2010, 07:06 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by controlsengineer
Mine does the exact same thing as well, it has 7500 miles now. I have noticed the clunk periodically, gradually getting worse. Sometime it does it, sometimes not. I just figured out today that it has something to do with heat. It seems to me that it is the steering shaft expansion slip joint, where the splines are. I think that the outer part of the slip joint absorbs the heat and expands. The outer tube actually protects the inner tube from the heat, thus it doesn't expand as much. This in turn causes a sloppy fit in the splined joint.

Can anyone concur?
The shaft itself has metal splines, the sleeve metal has a polymer/plastic insert of sorts. You would be on the right track. The shaft runs right by the manifold with no type of heat sheild between them and/or around the shaft. Some older model Chrysler vehicles were doing the same thing and their was a re-call and techs were given a shield of sorts that clipped on the shaft. This was in the late 90's according to one of the old techs at my dealership who saw my steering shaft and I talked to about what was happening.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idea if I'm understand right...

just a shot on the dark, but if the two portions of the splined shaft are lengthened a bit more (such as lift would do a little bit?) would that lessen the contact area on the inside for the two pieces to knock together, or maybe decrease the 'angle' at which the inner shaft can move when there is a lot of heat on it? Totally just an idea, so please let me know if I'm wrong and talk'n out my a$$...
Old 07-28-2010, 05:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not in my case whisky pirate, my ride 100% stock (until this saturday!)
Old 07-28-2010, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Your "search for noises" is understandable. Your JK is still new, under warranty, and your perfect baby. The sooner you give in to the noises/rattles and the dark side, much improved you will be.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:26 AM
JK Super Freak

well said berjepalon, but don't worry with almost 20k on it I've come to terms that it is never going to be showroom quality ever again
well.. at least for 100% pristine stock level anyway
Old 07-29-2010, 10:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

took mine to the dealer this morning. they said it needed both intermediate steering linkages. said it was a "common problem" and that the parts weren't shown to be back ordered, so should have them next week.

I will update if this was actually the fix.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Can anyone concur?
Mine has the knock slightly and while I have not tried to fix it yet, I have researched the problem a little bit. It seems that the popular solution is to get a needle attachment for your grease gun, puncture the boot that covers the slip joint and pump it full of grease. Not water ballon full, just a healthy dose. Then, work it around by hand to squeeze it into the joint. Like I said, I havn't tested this yet, but have read several other people having good luck with it getting rid of "the knock."

It's just one of those annoying things that I'll get around to when I've finally had enough. Kind of like drilling the side mirrors to let the water out. I'm just happy it has "the knock" and not "the clap."
Old 07-29-2010, 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't see grease being able to fix it. for very long anyway. have you felt that shaft after 30 minutes of driving?!? It will turn to oil and just run out. I was very close to wrapping the steering shaft in header insulation, but the thing only has 7600 miles, let the dealer tech screw with it. I have better things to do.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't see grease being able to fix it. for very long anyway. have you felt that shaft after 30 minutes of driving?!? It will turn to oil and just run out. I was very close to wrapping the steering shaft in header insulation, but the thing only has 7600 miles, let the dealer tech screw with it. I have better things to do.
Like I said, I haven't tried it. I'm only relaying what others have said. I remember reading that it worked for quite a while before needing more grease. It honestly doesn't bother me enough to act on it. At least it's near the bottom of my list.

Quick Reply: Greased Steering Cloumn - Still Have Knock in Gas Pedal...