Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Good and bad news...

Old 07-31-2024, 03:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

OK,

Quick update... A little more driving. The traction control light still comes on and the CEL does as well. Hooked up my XTool and the PCM is down to 1 code, the P0017. There is also the "torque denied" on the ABS, but I am thinking the 2 are related. I am still looking into the P0017 and waiting on the ABS as fixing the first may help the second (unless I am wrong about the relation).
Old 07-31-2024, 04:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW (nothing) I had a '12 Sport until it's untimely demise from crossing a dual hwy and hitting an Outback nose-to-nose resulting in a total write off by the insurance co.
During my ownership (I bought it used), the MIL light was on more than it was off. I forget what the codes were, but they related to the 2-stage oil pump. Mechanic removed the intake and replaced oil cooler, harness etc. but of course the check engine light returned. There towards the end I noticed it was RPM limited to about 3600 RPM- would not go any higher, no miss fires or roughness.
It does seem that the ''12 had a lot of problems which is a shame because I loved running that thing. Another thing was the clutch seemed to be way to high but that seemed un adjustable.
Oh well driving an '05 Colorado now but miss the jeep!
-Simon
The following users liked this post:
IIQII (07-31-2024)
Old 07-31-2024, 09:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SimpleSimon
FWIW (nothing) I had a '12 Sport until it's untimely demise from crossing a dual hwy and hitting an Outback nose-to-nose resulting in a total write off by the insurance co.
During my ownership (I bought it used), the MIL light was on more than it was off. I forget what the codes were, but they related to the 2-stage oil pump. Mechanic removed the intake and replaced oil cooler, harness etc. but of course the check engine light returned. There towards the end I noticed it was RPM limited to about 3600 RPM- would not go any higher, no miss fires or roughness.
It does seem that the ''12 had a lot of problems which is a shame because I loved running that thing. Another thing was the clutch seemed to be way to high but that seemed un adjustable.
Oh well driving an '05 Colorado now but miss the jeep!
-Simon
Thanks for the info. Appreciate any input.

Strange part is when the code cleared for a while it would have no limit and run like normal.
Old 08-02-2024, 04:50 AM
JK Newbie

OK all...

I have not gone to a total parts cannon yet (I bough new sensors, but have not installed them). In reading and researching I came across a video by Pine Hollow Diagnostics.

In the video a 3.6 was displaying similar symptoms but with an exhaust cam. Readings from the computer were almost exactly what mine are (mine is showing intake not exhaust). The readings on the exhaust cam in the video were bouncing all over like my intake. The cause, a shifted reluctor/tone wheel on the cam.

Thought you all might find it interesting or say I am full of it, either way I may have found something or learn something.

Are we allowed to post external links here, if so I will post the link to the video.
Old 08-02-2024, 04:57 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,691 Posts

I have seen that video, it's a good one. I've seen a couple more with the exact symptoms as that video. the one thing that stands out to me in the case of a shifted tone ring is that the codes are there immediately on startup, and they don't ever go away, from what I recall. that seems to be different than you situation and why I didn't think it was the tone ring. if the tone ring walked on yours, I can't imagine a situation where it ever would run decently with no codes, as yours does. This is the situation where I get pissed off that that dumb special tool costs so much for what it is. That is a sham. Also, it seems like those tools didn't used to exist and were finally created along the way due to enough of these tone rings walking, so it is certainly something that happens. The real kicker is if you open that VC up again to change a phaser, you may as well check the alignment of those, but it's not right that the dumb tool costs so much. I think when I was looking at it last you couldn't even get the actual mopar one.....only an aftermarket one was available at the time.

to be clear, I'm certainly not saying there's no way that is your issue, it just confuses me that yours seems to run ok for a certain period of time.

I think if I recall, I ran across another video of a guy working on a Charger in his garage with a walked tone ring using that tool as well. it was a while back so just generally recall that. i think I was researching that tool when I found it. the other guy that has a lot of videos replacing rockers/lifters on this 3.6L had a lot of videos pimping that tool, but never got around to showing how to actually use it. pisses me off when they bait you into videos and don't deliver!

Last edited by resharp001; 08-02-2024 at 05:05 AM.
IIQII (08-02-2024)
Old 08-02-2024, 05:05 AM
JK Newbie

It hasn't in recent driving. The CEL and code come up immediately now and the actual/desired are bouncing around the same way as that data capture I posted.

Looks like I am going to narrow it down and focus on that intake cam.

ETA: Maybe I can get video of the XTool live data. It is crazy. I am really glad you mentioned that tool, it is worth every dime.

Last edited by IIQII; 08-02-2024 at 05:08 AM.
Old 08-02-2024, 06:06 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I wish I had bought something like the XTool 5+ years ago. I've got 6 aging cars in the family and man it would have been so nice to have that sort of diagnosis and bi-lateral capability. I think I said before, but my only real beef with it is screen brightness if you're out driving around trying to get live data during the day.....the screen gets washed out pretty easily.

I really go back and forth on that tone ring tool. part of me almost says just throw a new cam at it. if you spend $200 or more on the tool and STILL have to end up buying a camshaft, that would suck. Odds are you'd never use that tool again in your life. though, maybe you could sell it and get some back.

Last edited by resharp001; 08-02-2024 at 06:11 AM.
IIQII (08-02-2024)
Old 08-02-2024, 06:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
I wish I had bought something like the XTool 5+ years ago. I've got 6 aging cars in the family and man it would have been so nice to have that sort of diagnosis and bi-lateral capability. I think I said before, but my only real beef with it is screen brightness if you're out driving around trying to get live data during the day.....the screen gets washed out pretty easily.

I really go back and forth on that tone ring tool. part of me almost says just throw a new cam at it. if you spend $200 or more on the tool and STILL have to end up buying a camshaft, that would suck. Odds are you'd never use that tool again in your life. though, maybe you could sell it and get some back.
The XTool has worked great for my Rubicon and my wife's Sahara. It has even verified a problem I am having on my Cayman with the AC pressure switch (I cant use it on my older P-car because there is no port). To me it has been well worth the expense. I got the D8W version and really like it.

I agree with this completely. Only time that tool would really pay for itself is checking all cams, but even then why would you if you were not getting erratic readings to indicate that it may be necessary.

The thing I find interesting is the reader gives a pretty good indication. A scope would be nice to have and I have considered buying one for other projects. Unfortunately those are $$$ I dont know if I want to spend right now.

Looking into cams, the Mopar are pricey but what I will go with.

Old 08-02-2024, 06:26 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Y, I think I'd only go with Mopar on the cams. ~$350 through the online stores. I just don't trust aftermarket on those and not like it's a 5 minute job.

I bought this little scope last month and have used it a few times. Really like it. My old scope had it's own screen, and battery, that I got so tired of that dumb battery needing charged every time I grabbed it. Combine that with the screen being junky and I was willing to experiment going this route.

a professional scope would be awesome, but hardly any of us at home DIYer's could justify that cost.

I think almost to the point that if you break into that sucker again, replace the camshaft and phaser, ~$500 would be well worth it if you could move on with a functional vehicle.

Last edited by resharp001; 08-02-2024 at 06:30 AM.
Old 08-02-2024, 08:35 AM
JK Newbie

Those little scopes are nice to have. I have an all in one that is articulated that has served me pretty well.

Will keep you posted on the progress/results with the Jeep.

Quick Reply: Good and bad news...