Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

gimme fuel

Old 01-17-2011, 12:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gimme fuel

i've seached the site a bit for some info on the issue i had yesterday with my jeep but didn't find any matching threads. so here's the issue, i left yesterday morning from vancouver island and drove to creston in southern british columbia. i fueled up at chevron when i left home on the island and made it about 500 kms until i had to refuel. no issues at this point, made it another 100 kms stopped for lunch and figured if i fueled up again i won't have to refuel until i get to my final destination espacially going over the really tall mountain passes in southern bc. so i fuel up, topped it off and started going on my way and drove for about 15 minutes and saw my fuel gauge was already down 1/8 of a tank, so i pulled over checked for leaks at the filler, under the hood, checked the fuel cap, shut the jeep off and hoped back in and kept going, well after an hour of driving on some hills and a couple good climbs going about 100-105 kms/h my fuel economy was at about 12L/100 kms which is really good, i noticed my fuel gauge was down to 1/2 this was really strange. i stopped in the next town refueled and made the rest of the trip over the taller passes on less than half of a tank which is great economy, so the issue has rectified itself. i'm wondering if erratic fuel consumption has happened to anyone else?
Old 01-17-2011, 01:00 PM
JK Junkie

I see 2 possibilities here, with #1 making #2 more prominent.

1 - When you filled up it auto stopped early, making you think it was full, when in fact you still had some space.

2 - When on hills your gauge will be off, especially if not full due the the angle the fuel is in the tank.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scouter4life
I see 2 possibilities here, with #1 making #2 more prominent.

1 - When you filled up it auto stopped early, making you think it was full, when in fact you still had some space.

2 - When on hills your gauge will be off, especially if not full due the the angle the fuel is in the tank.
Yep I have filled up at stations before that had extra sensitive auto-shutoffs. It was frustrating because I had to restart the pump about 5 times before I was even close to full. I would guess that the one pump just kicked off early so you didn't start with a completely full tank
Old 01-17-2011, 03:36 PM
JK Junkie

Every time I head up I70 to camp fish ride or wheel or whatever his happens.

When I get really heavy on the throttle and on a steep incline it will always seem like my gauge is off, but in the end my consumption per tank is around the same.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

fair enough, i thought it was something like that, but i topped it off to the point where the nozzle kept clicking off repeatedly, the hills are a possibility but i was coming over steeper and taller passes before the issue began and maintained good fuel comsumption on the gauge and the digital monitor, when the problem came about the gauge was dropping alot faster than normal, like i was drag racing haha. ah well i'll keep my eye on it the whole way back to the island this weekend coming up so i'll let you know if it reoccurs, if it's an issue i'll contact the dealership but i thought i'd ask and see if anyone has had this issue
Old 01-17-2011, 03:44 PM
JK Junkie

Thats funny you would say it keeps clicking off when refueling.

I can't even allow it to fill itself up due to the overflow and I have to sit there and hold it in place and babysit it the whole time
Old 01-17-2011, 05:50 PM
JK Freak

Could winds could have played more of a roll than gravity? On my long road trips across the Midwest I can see a 5 mpg difference from head to tail wind.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:33 PM
JK Jedi

Yeah......if he had a headwind that would surely make a difference.

I also want to add that the outside temp will make a BIG difference. Was it a lot colder after you left the island? My jk runs like a bat outta hell when it's real cold out but it uses a bit more fuel as well....
Old 01-17-2011, 07:35 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jK-ataklysm
fair enough, i thought it was something like that, but i topped it off to the point where the nozzle kept clicking off repeatedly, the hills are a possibility but i was coming over steeper and taller passes before the issue began and maintained good fuel comsumption on the gauge and the digital monitor, when the problem came about the gauge was dropping alot faster than normal, like i was drag racing haha. ah well i'll keep my eye on it the whole way back to the island this weekend coming up so i'll let you know if it reoccurs, if it's an issue i'll contact the dealership but i thought i'd ask and see if anyone has had this issue
Its the hills and wind. I went to Canmore (in the Rocky Mountains) on Sunday, and went through 3/4 of a tank on 250 km. New vehicles suck that way, but mountains kill gas milage.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:38 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
Yeah......if he had a headwind that would surely make a difference.

I also want to add that the outside temp will make a BIG difference. Was it a lot colder after you left the island? My jk runs like a bat outta hell when it's real cold out but it uses a bit more fuel as well....
That may be my issue. It went from -11*c to +9*c in a span of 4 min or so. I think we drove through a chinnook, very windy. On the way back from xc skiing, it went from +4*c where we were skiing to -18*c 1/2 way home.

Quick Reply: gimme fuel