Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

getting a "thud/clunk/dull knock" sound when turning right ???

Old 12-20-2010, 11:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting a "thud/clunk/dull knock" sound when turning right ???

Anyone have this problem before? I am hearing a dull thud sound, just once after a cold start-up upon making my first right turn. Sounds like it's coming from the right rear area of the jeep. Track-Bar maybe ?? any thoughts.

thanks
Old 12-20-2010, 11:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Woodman506
Anyone have this problem before? I am hearing a dull thud sound, just once after a cold start-up upon making my first right turn. Sounds like it's coming from the right rear area of the jeep. Track-Bar maybe ?? any thoughts.

thanks
exhaust manifold could be cracked?

check the trackbar a longwith the sway bar links.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

From the rear? Could be trac bar bolt....could be shock mount....could be brakes...could be a few things...try isolating the sound a little more, I know that's hard to do by yourself but are you sure it's coming form the rear?
After my lift install, when the temp dropped up here I had a thunk/clunk sound coming from up front that wasn't there before on turns...it was the trac bar bolt up front, I guess when the temp dropped it allowed the metal to shrink just enough to bang around, when it warmed up it went away...I took the bolt out and got a bigger bolt and drilled the hole slightly larger than before but just perfect for the new bolt, no more sound.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:41 AM
JK Newbie

Had the same noise. After taking everything apart I said what the hell let me check where the jack was. It turned out to be the crank handle for the car jack that was loose and it would bang against the side of the metal box its in. Check it out. Just put a small piece of rubber mat or carpet to hold it in place, noise gone.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:41 PM
JK Super Freak

I've been hearing a clunk in my front drivers side. But when I turn left. Doesn't happen often

Quick Reply: getting a "thud/clunk/dull knock" sound when turning right ???