Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

getting scratches out and soft top ?? Too ??

Old 07-18-2010, 07:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting scratches out and soft top ?? Too ??

i have some scratches from wheeling,jeep is brnd new,on the sides,they are not down to metal,tried cleaner wax, didnt work? Any ideas? Also was wheelin w top on and got it dirty,so i washed it ,looks fine when wet but when it dries its dirty? I washed it a bunch of times? Any ideas on getting it cleaned ?? thanks bros !!
Old 07-18-2010, 07:53 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Trail pinstriping is something to be proud of. Don't worry about it.

If you want to get your Jeep clean, how are you washing it? If you're taking it to a local car wash and hosing it off then rinsing it off then using the "spot-free rinse", you won't get your Jeep clean. After you rinse off with soapy water, use an old towel and a bucket of the soapy water (which you collected before starting to wash) to hand rub all of the parts of the vehicle. Then rinse off, then use the "spot-free" rinse. While rinsing, save some of the rinse water back into the bucket and use it to rinse off your soapy towel until it's not soapy. Take the Jeep for a spin, preferably at highway speeds. Then, once stopped, use that wet but no longer soapy towel to dry off the few remaining wet spots and to clean up any streaking. Use a window cleaner on the glass (but not plastic windows!) and you should be in good shape.

BTW: To clean tires, use a good bristle brush and scouring powder (Ajax, Comet, etc). Work the scouring powder into the tires to get rid of all of the grime. Do this during that time you're hand-rubbing the rest of the vehicle, then include them with the rinses. Do this and you'll save money over those commercial chemicals, and the tires will look almost new/flat black versus ghetto/shiny.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 07-18-2010 at 07:56 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 2010 Rubicon with less than 7000 miles and I already have the infamous trail wear. My suggestion and I can not stress this enough go to your local auto parts retailer and pick yourself up some "Turtle Wax ..ICE.." this stuff is great . It is a liquid synthetic wax goes on clear.. leaves no white residue, can be applied in the sunshine, at any temperature, leave on 10 minutes wipe it off.. It is fabulous. Kind of pricey but you only apply very little to the applicator and cover the entire vehicle. I will probably be able to do my Jeep 50 times with the one bottle.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:20 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
You really need to scrub it to get anything out of the top, seems to be very porous. The last soft top I had got mud/clay on it, it truly never came out. I have a new top on it now and try REAL hard to keep mud and such off it. We'll see how long I can hold off.

As far as the scratches, if it's in the clear you can buff it out (not by hand). However, you do that enough times and you'll burn through your clear coat...

Pin-striping comes with the territory. Like drag racing and complaining about the rubber on the 1/4s
i could never get my duster clean. one time after washing and drying i used 303 and it looked like brand new. it only leaves a thin film for a couple of days but the fabric stays new and black looking. yes it will attract dust if you go off road in the first couple of days.

Quick Reply: getting scratches out and soft top ?? Too ??