Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Getting mud off a soft top

Old 01-07-2011, 06:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting mud off a soft top

Iv had mud spots caked in pretty good on my soft top for awhile and am at a loss as to how to get them out. I'v tried scrubbing with diluted Simple Green already. I'v heard that Magic Erasers work well. Any input? If it matters, it's east coast clay mud, and not just good old dirt.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:53 AM
JK Newbie

I would be careful using the Magic eraser. Those things are great for shower scum and mildew....I wonder if there is some harsh chemical in them. Maybe call the company that makes them to see if they know that it will not harm your soft top.

Don't know, just my thoughts.

Good luck with that.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:18 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dronac
Iv had mud spots caked in pretty good on my soft top for awhile and am at a loss as to how to get them out. I'v tried scrubbing with diluted Simple Green already. I'v heard that Magic Erasers work well. Any input? If it matters, it's east coast clay mud, and not just good old dirt.
When I used to have to clean canvas and vinyl tops in the army we soaked the tops in dawn or polmolove based soapy water for 30-45 minutes and then hand scrubbed with a plastic bristled brush, the six inch long old school ones with one inch bristles.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:18 AM
bkw
JK Freak

Soap and water with a bristle brush followed by a coat of Aerospace 303 Protectant.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:38 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bkw
Soap and water with a bristle brush followed by a coat of Aerospace 303 Protectant.
X2 on 303. I just washed mine through a care wash, still had lots of mud spots and then wiped down the whole top with 303. looks brand new again.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

303 is some good sh#t
Old 01-07-2011, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know this is going to sound strange, but it does work. Take some peanut butter (smooth and creamy type), put it in a cup and warm in the microwave...not hot, just warm. Use the peanut butter on a soft cloth and scrub the stained spot, then rinse off with water. There is something in the PB that takes out the stains. Also works great on white wax stains on plastic if you accidently get some wax on your mirror surrounds or flares.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:05 PM
JK Jedi

It's probably the same reason that pb takes off pitch. Mayonnaise will do the same thing. It's the oil in the pb and mayo that dissolves a lot of stuff.

Quick Reply: Getting mud off a soft top