Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

getting carseats in?

Old 09-14-2009, 04:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting carseats in?

how hard is this? havent tried it yet... it bad without the top off?
Old 09-14-2009, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not bad at all. I made a trip down to Alabama from Virginia with a child seat in the rear center seat. No problems and it fit great. I had the top up though since it was 112 degrees down there when I went
Old 09-14-2009, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

ive got a 4dr...so this prolly isnt very helpful but I'm using a Chicco Keyfit 30 base and carrier in the center. Fits great still plenty of room on both sides for other passengers. Ive never done it with the top off. I never got around to ordering a mesh safari so I ran the hardtop all summer (didn't want my 6month old getting a sunburn).
Old 09-14-2009, 04:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by trick50
ive got a 4dr...so this prolly isnt very helpful but I'm using a Chicco Keyfit 30 base and carrier in the center. Fits great still plenty of room on both sides for other passengers. Ive never done it with the top off. I never got around to ordering a mesh safari so I ran the hardtop all summer (didn't want my 6month old getting a sunburn).
haha i dont blame you. just gonna have to get a carseat in soon thought this would be just the place to ask! love the forums just lurkin atm
Old 09-14-2009, 05:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's easy in the Unlimited... Not so easy in the 2 door.

I remove a headrest from the rear seat and the seat slips in easy from the back. I then attach the LATCH hook to the back side loop, but leave it loose. Then, I flip the passenger seat forward, climb in and attach the two LATCH hooks, left and right. I then tighten the strap. Climb out, go around the back and tighten the back strap. Pop the headrest back in. Done and ready for the monster....

I have to do this every Friday. I'm off on Fridays, and my wife provides childcare for our 2 yr old grand daughter. Friday is her adventure day. We load her in the JK and go various places, like the beach, parks and the like. I leave the hardtop on as it is too windy for a toddler in the back. I do, however, take off the front panels when the weather allows.

My regards,

Widewing
Old 09-14-2009, 05:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's not bad putting them in a 2 door. I have two in most of the time booster for the 5 year old and car seat for the 3 year old. The kids love to ride with the top off.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:45 AM
TMC
JK Enthusiast

X2, I have no problems with 2 kids and carseats, they love it! ages 1 1/2 and 4 1/2
Old 09-16-2009, 04:50 AM
JK Freak

i got the Graco seat for my daughter the clip on base fit right in the centre but it's a bit far to reach for the wife (5'5") me at 6' tall i don't had any problem

in hot summer days i just remove the 3 rear windows and it's perfect

i just buy a mesh top to avoid the direct sun
Old 09-16-2009, 07:17 AM
JK Super Freak

I have 2 booster seats on each side and a 5 point harness forward facing carseat for my 2 year old in the middle of my 4 door. The fit better than they did in my Grand Cherokee. We did have the big rear/forward facing seat that has the padded thingy that looks like a roller coaster restraint bar that goes down over their heads in and that took up a ton of room for my other two kids. The carseats install pretty easily.

Word of advice for anyone that uses the booster seats. If you have the doors off and no kids in them, either throw them in the back or latch the safety belt around them or you will take a corner and one will be flying across the intersection!!!

I have not done that, but I have gotten home and looked back and went . I was lucky.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

I will have to install one of these soon (still a few months away). Can you mount these things on one side? Or is it just in the center of the back seat?

Have a 2dr - I think putting it in the middle of the seat will not give me much room on either side.

Hmm... I wonder if someone makes just a single seat for the back that I could install the baby seat to or something.

Quick Reply: getting carseats in?