Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Gecko green paint code.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by karls
It's a couple of tow hooks.....go to the dealer (or qtec...or steve white mopar) and buy the gecko spray paint. It's an OEM part so it matches perfectly. Clean the hooks, paint the hooks, clear the hooks, use the hooks. There's no need to go all out and get a shop to paint the hooks.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Clear in a can is not anywhere near the same thing as the two part clear that a shop will spray. He said he wanted to paint the bumper too.

Rattle clan clear is not catalyzed, which means it's not resistant to any solvents, oils, even some car wash products. Two part clears you can wipe with acetone and not damage it. Also, the long term UV protection and chip resistance doesn't compare. Since it'll be on the front of your jeep, it will be exposed to a lot of bugs and other chip potential.

If you do it yourself with rattle cans, you'll do it over every couple years...if you actually care about how it looks anyway.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:29 AM
JK Junkie

Admittedly, no- rattle can clear and rattle can paint for that matter isn't the same as a typical spray. But......they're tow hooks. They're going to be used, so why not go with something you can touch up for a couple bucks instead of a re-spray? Anywhere else I would typically agree to get it done correctly.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls
Admittedly, no- rattle can clear and rattle can paint for that matter isn't the same as a typical spray. But......they're tow hooks. They're going to be used, so why not go with something you can touch up for a couple bucks instead of a re-spray? Anywhere else I would typically agree to get it done correctly.

I would agree if he only wanted the tow hooks done, but he wants (maybe) the bumper done as well. I'd do my tow hooks fast and easy as well, if that's all I was doing.

The bumper on the other hand, that's a lot of work to redo every couple years.

Quick Reply: Gecko green paint code.