Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Gauges

Old 10-12-2006, 12:44 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
is this the premium guage cluster? I have the "S" package coming, and the dealer didnt have a clue
(thanks for the photo wayoflife)
This insturment cluster is from a Rubicon but the Sahara's look pretty much the same minus the locker indicators. The "X" Models do not have the silver trim around the guages.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by john112deere
Damn. Idiot lights just don't cut it for me.
Well, since '04 and probably before that, some of the "gauges" in the TJ are really just idiot lights. Quoting from another thread over on Rubicon Owners Forum:

How the oil 'gauge' behaves is not a direct analogue of the engine oil pressure. Quoting from the FSM:

² Engine Oil Pressure Message - Each time the cluster receives a message from the PCM indicating the engine oil pressure of a 2.4L engine is above about 0.2 kg/cm2 (3 psi), or of any engine other than a 2.4L is above about 0.4 kg/cm2 (6 psi), the cluster moves the gauge needle to the middle of the normal range on the gauge scale to represent the engine oil pressure. The gauge needle will continue to be positioned at the middle of normal range on the gauge scale until the cluster receives a message from the PCM that indicates the engine oil pressure is low, or until the ignition switch is turned to the Off position, whichever occurs first.

So it really is a computer controlled idiot light that only tells you on which side of 6 psi the pressure is.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:33 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah, my Ranger is the same way (I think it's 7 psi, though). Apparently, people thought that it was a problem that oil pressure would fluctuate depending on temperature, RPM, etc. and kept bringing the vehicles in for repair.

There is an advantage to an idiot gauge as opposed to an idiot light, though. You can usually convert them to be real gauges with a little bit of work, and it'll look cleaner than adding aftermarket gauges.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Does the new JK have idiot gauges too?! Please say it isn't so.

Scary thing tonight, I finally got the ol' 95' Cherokee running again (bad flywheel sensor) after a month of replacing parts. The new JK was ordered to replace the Cherokee. Now that it's running again, I thought my new JK on order may be in jeopardy, but have no fear, the wife came through again, but I think one of them is going to have to go.
(www.spudracer.com)

Tom
Bryson City, NC
Old 10-17-2006, 05:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SpudRacer

Scary thing tonight, I finally got the ol' 95' Cherokee running again (bad flywheel sensor) after a month of replacing parts. The new JK was ordered to replace the Cherokee. Now that it's running again, I thought my new JK on order may be in jeopardy, but have no fear, the wife came through again, but I think one of them is going to have to go.
(www.spudracer.com)

Tom
Bryson City, NC

Wife
JK
XJ

Which one is going.....???

Ron
Old 10-17-2006, 06:46 AM
JK Freak

Id say that the wife is your weakest link. Goodbye! lol
Old 10-17-2006, 09:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nope, wife is a keeper if I've ever seen one, and that's not the word of one whipped, but of one wise enough to see a gold mine in the flesh.

As for the JK vs. XJ, I'm sure most of you have been there. You pour all your time and efforts into a vehicle including way too much money until it is where you like it. Then a little time passes, a new JK comes out and catches your eye, and next thing you know you're in love with a new breed. You can't forget your faithful Jeep (or in this case not so faithful), and you'll NEVER EVER get out of it what you invested, yet at night when you close your eyes, you dream of a JK with 35" tires, Rescue Green everything, PowerForce Warn Winches.
Do you sell? How many Jeeps can one collect or justify or insure?

I'll probaby set a price in my head and put her up for sale, then pray nobody offers more than I want so I can keep them both. How many cars does everyone have?!

1. JK
2. 95' XJ
3. 69' Charger R/T SE
4. 66' Mustang GT "K" code
5. 29' Dutchstar RV
6. 03' Honda Valkyrie
7. 04' Volvo XC-70 (wife's car)

That is a lot, not much room for more...

Tom
Bryson City, NC
Old 10-20-2006, 03:39 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Quadratec Rep

Talking

LOL!

As long as the Charger & the Stang are garaged, you can always pave part of your front yard.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:28 PM
JK Newbie

Allison temp gauge is very usefull in my dually. I cant believe DC couldn't install one in jeep since they know that most jeeps are taken offroad and it can be very usefull outhere. Maybe thats why they did not install one.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SpudRacer

(www.spudracer.com)

Tom
Bryson City, NC

spudracer, I am trying to diagnose a engine problem on a '95 wrangler 4.0, how did your XJ act with the bad crank sensor? this one runs like it has a bad cylinder, pops and sputters, low power just happened out on the trail after some hard wheeling, all the basic items have been checked, Im thinking a bad sensor or maybe a blown head gasket. any input welcome

Quick Reply: Gauges