Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

gascap warning!!

Old 01-17-2008, 05:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from what I read somewhere...

The computer checks the cap when it is a cold start, not a warm start.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had some A-hole steal my gas cap.....I drove it for 2 days (one with a rag stuffed in the hole) without it, no warning.....
Old 01-17-2008, 10:57 AM
JK Junkie

I made a little mistake with my evap relocation kit which caused my JK to think the cap was off. It seemed like it would check the cap after so many hours driving time. I kept adjusting things and every time I thought I had it licked that warning would come on again. It was driving me crazy until I finally figured out how to fix it.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

I "discovered" that feature too last week when I drove 20 miles without the gas cap in place. Mine indicator hasn't come back on since though.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Gas cap error

In response to Red9bull, the dealership wants $211 bucks for me to replace my evap canister...apparently I punched a hole in it at the ranch and started getting a "gascap" warning. Replaced the gascap and still recieved the warning. Took the JK back to the dealership for that "brake problem recall" and they told me the bad news. To purchase a replacement is only $60, but the labor is where they always get you. Probably going to do it myself and then look into a skidplate to protect it.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:39 PM
JK Newbie

My "gas cap Warning" light came on yesterday. I checked the cap and it still wouldn't turn off. Yesterday evening I read this thread and waited till this morning for a cold start. The light came back on but only for a moment and then turned off for the rest of the day. So far so good.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jeepfamily
In response to Red9bull, the dealership wants $211 bucks for me to replace my evap canister...apparently I punched a hole in it at the ranch and started getting a "gascap" warning. Replaced the gascap and still recieved the warning. Took the JK back to the dealership for that "brake problem recall" and they told me the bad news. To purchase a replacement is only $60, but the labor is where they always get you. Probably going to do it myself and then look into a skidplate to protect it.
Get a Woods relocation kite. Do it right the first time.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:38 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Once RubyDoo gets hers replaced the relocation kit is going on her and now Little Red RubyJeep has had the gascap thing now too and according to the asshats at the stealership its $178.41 to replace the evap can and little white module after some how it got knocked off and there was mud and water in there. RubyJeep is getting a relocation kit too after replacement.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:09 AM
JK Junkie

Check out:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...highlight=evap
The third post down talks about stuff to look for when you replace your canister. It's not a bad idea to move it or skid plate the thing.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:26 AM
JK Newbie

Default Gas Cap Lite

I"ve done the same thing with the same result and was wondering about the absence of a lite. Thanx for answering my question. I discovered it quickly and so I dont know how long my X takes to lite the lite. I always thought that with a pressurized fuel system you needed to have the cap sealed to operate correctly. Did not experience any change in running condition.

Quick Reply: gascap warning!!