Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Gas tank size

Old 02-23-2015, 10:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Yahooligan

Assuming you're referring to "* 5 Additional Gallons of Gas", this is them putting 5 gallons of gas into the tank at the factory to allow it to be driven for loading/unloading. This doesn't indicate reserve or extra capacity, it is just plain old 5 gallons of gas they put in the tank.
That would make sense
Old 02-23-2015, 12:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed a gas recipt from my wife last night. She put in 21.6 gallons. I asked how long the gas light had been on, she said, "oh, a couple days!!!"
I educated her on why to keep the gauge above 1/4 full.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dodge4me
I noticed a gas recipt from my wife last night. She put in 21.6 gallons. I asked how long the gas light had been on, she said, "oh, a couple days!!!"
I educated her on why to keep the gauge above 1/4 full.
Ha, Ha !! Too funny.
I hate to generalize but I have a wife, a son and 2 daughters. It must be a female thing> I have preached for years not to let the guage get below 1/4 tank, especially in Winter since we live in Northern Illinois and could be stranded for hours stuck somewhere. Its always good to have enough gas to be able to run the vehicle on and off for heat. My son gets it, but ill be damned if the girls ever will. I get in their cars and 90% of the time they are below 1/4. I just dont get what goes thru their heads sometimes!!
Old 03-08-2015, 07:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm curious if the Jeep has the same programming as my Ram 1500 did. The Ram would have the gas light come on and there is still about 3-4 gallons in the tank. If continued to be driven the in dash display would change to "Low Fuel". At this time the tank was down to about 1 gallon.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:16 AM
JK Newbie

Don't worry over it too much. I have a 2 door. The capacity for it is 18.6 gallons. I've actually rolled into a gas station, about to die, once since I've had it. It had been sputtering for a mile or so and I was coasting to the pump. I filled her up until fuel was pooling at the cap opening and I only pumped 17.8 gallons that day. I remember because it was just last week... I think Jeep is either a little generous with their measurements, or the supplier for the tanks has a very loose tolerance for the molds they use to make them.

Quick Reply: Gas tank size