Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

gas tank recall

Old 03-08-2011, 09:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas tank recall

I got the letter from Jeep telling me I have a lifetime warranty on my gas tank now. I went the next day to the dealer to make a claim. Of course, they did not know anything about it and even tried to charge me for looking into the problem. I reminded them that this is a warranty issue and that I shouldn't be charged. They took the charge off of my bill and said they have to order the parts. It is now a week later and they still don't have the parts in yet. I understand that mine are
"en route" but there is now a national back order of several hundred tanks! Chrysler planning and communication, not exactly job 1 for them..
Old 03-21-2011, 01:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default follow-up on gas tank

My dealer got the parts in and did the install in one day. I haven't filled up yet to see if it works but it should be fime. total cost, $0 Anyone else have their tank replaced on the new warranty?
Old 03-21-2011, 02:37 PM
JK Freak

I'm waiting for my tank. The dealer said it was on a 3 week backorder.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:00 PM
-

I just called the dealer, they said there is no such recall yet.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Christine
I'm waiting for my tank. The dealer said it was on a 3 week backorder.
Got the same answer when I called in today.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by terrykkxx
what was wrong with the tanks?
Old 03-21-2011, 03:35 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by terrykkxx
Technically it's not a recall - They are replacing tanks that are identified with overflow problems under an extended warranty. It does not show up as a recall on the Chrysler system.

If your tank is overflowing and you have recieved a letter it is to be changed as a warrantied item, even if your normal warranty ha expired.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bendanna
what was wrong with the tanks?
When filling up, the automatic shutoff valve would not engage making gas spill out of the tank. Dealerships are now replacing those affected free of charge. If you get the letter, tell them that you recieved it and take it to them if they say some bullcrap like "we don't know what you're talking about".

Mine was ordered 3 days after I got the letter, got to the dealership 5 days later. Dropped it off at 8 am and called back at 11am when they were done.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got my leter a few weeks ago and the dealer by my work said I had to prove that it really overflows.
When I asked how they planned to prove it they said they'd have to ride to a gas station with me and watch me fill it up. My word is not good enough. Then bring it back in a week after I use up the gas.
I called the dealer where I bought it and they said no problem. I just need a day off work to take it in.
Yaeh I can't believe it either.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:00 PM
JK Newbie

Default Fixed

My dealer replaced the tank no questions after confirming my build date... no letter from Chrysler needed. Three fill-ups into it and no overflow problem anymore. Old Saybrook, CT Jeep did the work.

Quick Reply: gas tank recall