Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Gas pump issues...

Old 02-17-2009, 04:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dammit Jake, you jinxed me! It just happened to me again today.

I relocated my evap cannister, so I don't think it's taken a hit, but maybe I need to climb under and take a look.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by riverzendz
I've had this happen on lots of my vehicles.

Try pulling the gas pump out of the filler a little bit and see if that works any better.
lol thats what I have to do
Old 02-17-2009, 04:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok this is taken from the service manual, talking about the ESIM switch(the white plastic part on the canister)

"the fresh air lines and hoses from the ESIM must have clear openings to the atmosphere. Check the fresh air lines, including fresh air filter, for obstructions or restrictions at the ESIM Also check the routing to the exit to atmosphere. If a restriction is present, the system will not allow free flow passage of clean air, and an EARLY SHUT OFF of the fule fill nozzle may occur during fuel fill"

edit: The fresh air filter line runs from the ESIM up to a filter just below the gas fill hose, you can see it if you remove the driver side tail light.

Last edited by tkob1060; 02-17-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:31 AM
JK Freak

Default Fixed

well mine is all better, I replaced the ESIM and I was able to fill up with the nozzle on full blast and it never cut off till full

my ESIM where the hose attaches was hanging on by a thread, when I went to remove it it came right off. and the black hose going to the other side of canister wasnt kinked as bad as I thought but I still replaced it.

check for leaks/breaks guys
Old 02-18-2009, 10:31 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by taters_jk
Whats a 3rd brake like

I what you are talking about
Old 02-21-2009, 03:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here in Australia this is a common problem with the diesels (apparantly you don't have the CRD engine in the 'States?). The issue seems to be a sticking venting valve in the tank and requires repair by the dealer.

Not sure why it only affects the diesels here though; maybe the oily fuel builds up on the valve (which is suceptable due to it's design) and jams it, or maybe the diesels have a completely different tank and venting system to the 3.8L petrol models?
Old 02-22-2009, 08:15 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

Originally Posted by tkob1060
well mine is all better, I replaced the ESIM and I was able to fill up with the nozzle on full blast and it never cut off till full

my ESIM where the hose attaches was hanging on by a thread, when I went to remove it it came right off. and the black hose going to the other side of canister wasnt kinked as bad as I thought but I still replaced it.

check for leaks/breaks guys
I got underneath my JK today and took a look at all the hoses even removed a few of them to ensure they were not blocked or clogged in anyway.

Tkob is that little hose in your pic inside the canister or was that connected to the ESIM ( white doohickie )?
Old 02-22-2009, 09:32 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by serveapurpose
I got underneath my JK today and took a look at all the hoses even removed a few of them to ensure they were not blocked or clogged in anyway.

Tkob is that little hose in your pic inside the canister or was that connected to the ESIM ( white doohickie )?
that hose is connected to the other part of the evap not the white doohickie....if none of the hoses are blocked maybe its the filter up by the top of filler tube, you can see it if you remove the taillight

I've filled up about 5 times now and no shutting off

edit: maybe your esim switch is bad? its only 10bucks maybe worth trying and the filter is 7 and change

Last edited by tkob1060; 02-22-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:50 AM
JK Newbie

I have had similar problems at several different stations. I would put the nozzle all the way in and when the level got full, it wouldn't shut off right away. I would lose about a quart of gas....a fortune just dropped to the ground.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Could it be that when you switched out your V6 to a 4 cylinder, something got left behind.

Quick Reply: Gas pump issues...