Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Gas pump issues...

Old 02-17-2009, 06:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope it doesnt get like mine, it got progressively worse over time and I've gassed up from NJ to NC a lot, with the same issue no matter where I was.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've found if you do not press the handle all the way down, but only 1/2 to 3/4 of the way down, it usually solves the pump shutting off problem.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by tkob1060
you really think he didn't try that if he was battling it for 10minutes?

You never know...

----------------
Now playing: SITD - Laughingstock (Remix by The Retrosic)
via FoxyTunes
Old 02-17-2009, 08:17 AM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My last few fill ups have, filled the tank. Then when I pull the nozzle out, gas pours out and down the side of the Jeep. I hope this isn't the start of what Jake is seeing.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:20 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

Originally Posted by Woods
My last few fill ups have, filled the tank. Then when I pull the nozzle out, gas pours out and down the side of the Jeep. I hope this isn't the start of what Jake is seeing.
WOODS this is the one you are getting https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ht=gas+filling I can't seem to get the son of gun to want any gas.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:34 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

Originally Posted by OlegFl
Just for the hell of it, did you try pumping gas from your (I think you have one) Jerry Can? Maybe it will be a faster solution for a temp. fix??
I really didn't have the time to tinker with other ways to fill up the tank since I was on my way out to the Valley of Fire. I am gonna take it down to the Dealership sometime this week and hopefully get it fixed.

I am thinking it has something to do with the venting somewhere down in the bowels of the beast. I'm sure BCarr is dead on what is happening, I think I remember there being something in behing the driverside tail light that has to do with the vent.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:54 AM
JK Newbie

Two good pieces of advice were given to check:

i) Flapper valve (and whatever) in the filler neck pipe to tank.
-> might need a dealer to do that???
ii) The venting for the tank goes via EVAP cannister - there should be a vent valve and/or pipe from another fitting on the EVAP cannister to atmosphere.
[and a third pipe that goes to the engine via PRURGE valve]. Check the vent side for blockage - sorry I haven't checked mine so don't know exactly how it looks on a JK and if there is an electrical valve or not - but that's the principle.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:08 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

Thanks everyone for the info, I do appreciate it all. I will post up once I find out what is causing the problem.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:11 AM
JK Freak

well I know what may be causing mine I found a crack in the evap canister, its actually on the white part that you see in this photo, according to my service manual its the ESIM switch and not usually serviceable...I guess I will be getting a new canister.

Last edited by tkob1060; 02-17-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:01 PM
JK Freak

ok just got back from dealer, they do have the Esim part separately, it was only 10bucks its listed on the receipt as part # 4891685-AA Detector Evap and its just twisted in and out without tools .....now I just need to wait till tomorrow for napa to get 5/8in fule hose in. The one hard plastic hose going to the evap has a bad kink in it, that maybe causing my issue also.

Quick Reply: Gas pump issues...