Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Gas pump issues...

Old 02-16-2009, 09:34 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas pump issues...

I just recently started having problems during filling up at the gas station. Here is my problem. When I put the nozzle in and pull the trigger for the fuel dispense it will dispense for about 20 seconds then it shuts off. I have to sit and battle with the pump for 10 minutes to fill the tank. What is going on here and anyone else having this issue?

I had this happen to me at 3 different stations along my trip this weekend so it wasn't just the pump I was using. I thought it may have something to do with Nevada not having the rubber boot over the nozzles, but my last fuel up in California had the same problem.

any ideas???
Thanks in advance
Old 02-16-2009, 10:13 PM
JK Junkie

I have no Idea, but it happens to me every once and a while.

I have been told it might be the pumps when the tanks are low. But if it happended 3 times at 3 different locations I dont think that is it.....
Old 02-16-2009, 10:18 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

I hope I can get it solved this 15 minutes and 100x of pulling the trigger to pump 18 gallons of gas crap is for the birds.... Hopefully I can look into it a little further tommorow once I have some time.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:40 PM
JK Super Freak

I had an issue like this on an older truck I used to have and it was the vent line for venting air/fumes our of the tank. It had a kink in it from the factory that got worse as time went on, causing the pump to turn off because the air couldn't vent out when pumping gas in. Maybe a long shot, just a thought.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:48 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

Originally Posted by Ctimrun
I had an issue like this on an older truck I used to have and it was the vent line for venting air/fumes our of the tank. It had a kink in it from the factory that got worse as time went on, causing the pump to turn off because the air couldn't vent out when pumping gas in. Maybe a long shot, just a thought.
Thanks Tim I will check it out tommorow!
Old 02-17-2009, 04:10 AM
JK Super Freak

I've had this happen on lots of my vehicles.

Try pulling the gas pump out of the filler a little bit and see if that works any better.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by riverzendz
I've had this happen on lots of my vehicles.

Try pulling the gas pump out of the filler a little bit and see if that works any better.

This will work, I have had this same issue. It seems to me that some gas stations have a bit more pressure than others and if you put the nozzle all the way in it bcaks up some and shuts it off as if it is full. Just pull it out and bit and this should fix it. JOE>
Old 02-17-2009, 05:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

I noticed this same thing when I first got my JK 3 weeks ago. Most gas nozzles have a slight bend in the spout, so I started putting it in only to that point and it works fine.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sloppyjoe
This will work, I have had this same issue. It seems to me that some gas stations have a bit more pressure than others and if you put the nozzle all the way in it bcaks up some and shuts it off as if it is full. Just pull it out and bit and this should fix it. JOE>
you really think he didn't try that if he was battling it for 10minutes?

I've had this same trouble for about 5months now, it WILL shut off no matter how I put the nozzle in, it got worse it used to be ok if I put the nozzle in upside down, now that doesnt help either, it got worse since I started having the troulbe...now I have to hold the pump on as SLOW as possible and even then it will click off, but in the last few weeks I noticed once I got about 8 gallons in it I can pump it a little faster. It does take me 10min to fill from 1/4 tank. It is highly annoying but I'm glad to see I'm not the only one now

I've checked the hoses going to the evap they seem ok.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Mine did this a few weeks ago at the gas station in town that I use all the time. Really aggravating, I just had to dribble the gas in a few drops at a time until I gave up. Never happened before, and hasn't happened since.

Quick Reply: Gas pump issues...