Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Gas Mileage with vs without hardtop

Old 05-18-2011, 12:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get better mpg with the soft-top, less with the hard-top. Top less i think it's comparable to the hard-top though
Old 05-18-2011, 01:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steve_bk
I get better mpg with the soft-top, less with the hard-top. Top less i think it's comparable to the hard-top though
Probably lighter with the softop, and without the softop you are probably fighting wind resistance since all the roll bars etc will cause alot of turbulent air and there for could create more drag.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all was just curious. I take full responsibility for owning the brick and the lack of mpg.

I stare at the mpg display like looking at a slot machine spin once you have pulled the lever even though I can't do anything about it.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:24 PM
JK Newbie

My jeep is parked for a while. Going to use it for trails only. Getting my list ready and driving a eco friendly car.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:59 PM
JK Super Freak

I have no personal experience with the soft top as I either run the hardtop or topless with spiderweb shade, but I've heard that although the hardtop weighs a fair bit the soft top gets worse mileage due to the bow at the top that creates drag and the plastic windows/canvas sides & top moving in & out at speed & also causing a drag affect.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Topless. T-O-P-L-E-S-S
Old 05-19-2011, 03:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Its plausable, the more weight you carry the worse your gas milage is. A 2 door hardtop is around 85lbs and a 4 Door is around 100lbs.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:50 AM
JK Newbie

I actually get better mileage with the hardtop vs the softstop. Topless gets me the worse...and these are compared with the same exact drive...i think when the canvass collapses it creates a bit of drag...who knows, this is just my experience
Old 05-19-2011, 12:16 PM
JK Newbie

It all evens out... Dont forget to factor in the fun factor. Having the doors and top off makes your big grin worth 2-3mpg.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:56 PM
JK Freak

I get better mpg with the hardtop on, next is soft top down with spidershade (or bestop mesh before that), then soft top up.

But they are all pretty close, and I know that I (and you) unconsciously and consciously add a lot to the equation. Hard top on, I will set it at 65-75mph and let it sit on the highway. No touching the gas, just let the cruise handle it. Plus, when the hardtop is on, I drive a lot less - so less city mpg. Top down, I am going slow, almost never 75mph. Soft top up, think it just has more drag because it isn't as smooth. Usually the top is just up because it is raining, too cold, or I am driving somewhere I can put the top down again.

But longwinded answer aside - the hard top has always been better mpg for me.

Quick Reply: Gas Mileage with vs without hardtop