Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Gas leak

Old 08-19-2022, 10:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas leak

Hi Everyone- I purchased my first Wrangler a month ago - an 07 JK. I noticed that gas is leaking from under the passenger side through a cracked plate that is currently on back order. Any ideas?
Old 08-19-2022, 10:55 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,686 Posts

so that looks like the gas tank "skid", or rather "hanger" totally rusted through. That is holding the gas tank up. That wouldn't necessarily explain where the leak is coming from though. Do you have a leak in the actual tank itself? is it coming from the fuel pump gasket or something on top maybe? It's hard to tell much with that single picture.

In regard to that being on backorder, and being expensive, I think you might look at the cheapest gas tank skid like the Rubicon Express one. That does assume that the rest of that hanger is in ok shape considering in the middle of the jeep it is holding it from the underside of the tub. All those aftermarket skids just overlay the factory, but it would at least shore things up from the underside for the time being. If you could weld you could probably fab up a support much cheaper, but I realize that isn't an option for a lot of folks.
Old 08-19-2022, 01:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

Living most my life in Arizona, I am always amazed at the rust that the folks in the east and our friends in Canada have to put up with. The pictures of rusty parts that peeps have posted we would never see out here. Surface rust out here is major concern (HA-HA). You have my sympathies.

Quick Reply: Gas leak