Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Fuel leak gas tank

Old 01-05-2019, 04:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Fuel leak gas tank

Since September I’ve notice gas smell from jeep. Worse when it was full, went away at about half tank. No visible leak. About a week ago I parked on a different spot. Tank was half full. Smell got really bad. I got down on the ground and saw gas just dripping off the skid plate. Took to mechanic and after dropping the tank he found sending unit cracked. $600 later I have a new sending unit. Jeep is 2010 unlimited with 35,000 miles. Anybody have the same problem. Changed brakes for the first time at 35,000 miles also.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:17 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Sending unit? Do you mean the round cover on top of the tank? Maybe a plastic line on the round cover?
Old 01-05-2019, 11:28 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep. The white plastic on the top of that unit gets fine cracks in it, allowing fumes to come out making the Jeep smell like it is about to explode. If you too off your tank often, fuel can deep out of those cracks.. My tank has a ton of mud and dirt saturated with gas fumes... I dropped the tank and changed that unit myself.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No I saw the cracks in the round outer flange ot the unit. o ring was good not cut. Smoke test showed the mounting flange was cracked

Quick Reply: Fuel leak gas tank