Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Fuel Consumption.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
I know reading a few magazines.....it would take 5 to 7 years to pay-off the prius based on fuel savings. Then another question you may have to ask how long will that battery last??? What is the cost to replace that battery?

I am wondering what a few of the Greenpeace...tree hugging folk that love these hybrids and want the entire world to switch to Hybrids ever stop to think where are these batteries going to go once they are done there life?

I will stick to polluting with our families JK (17City & 23Highway) and checking out my wife driving topless!!!
I think we would all chose the "I will stick to polluting with our families JK (17City & 23Highway) and checking out my wife driving topless!!!"

BUT....... We would like to see the wife driving topless!

Last edited by HULKGREEN; 03-08-2008 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:27 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HULKGREEN
I think we would all chose the "I will stick to polluting with our families JK (17City & 23Highway) and checking out my wife driving topless!!!"

BUT....... We would like to see the wife driving topless!
You are PRICELESS HULK!!!!.....
Maybe on a warm summer day....you may find her picture in the thread eyeful a day!!!.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by derff96963
My Question is what is the price of the prius?

How much gas could you buy for your jeep with that money?

To me it just doesn't make any sense.
My Prius cost me about 7K less than my Jeep. When I go on a long trip we use the Prius. When we go on a fun trip I use the Jeep. What is there not to understand?
Old 03-09-2008, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
I know reading a few magazines.....it would take 5 to 7 years to pay-off the prius based on fuel savings. Then another question you may have to ask how long will that battery last??? What is the cost to replace that battery?

I am wondering what a few of the Greenpeace...tree hugging folk that love these hybrids and want the entire world to switch to Hybrids ever stop to think where are these batteries going to go once they are done there life?

I will stick to polluting with our families JK (17City & 23Highway) and checking out my wife driving topless!!!
Prius discussion on a jeep forum. What sin have I done ; ). The Prius batteries are rated for 150,000 miles and there has not been one that needed a battery change-out since they started making them about 8 years ago. Yep..I bet that the batteries are going to cost me 3K new or about 600 from a junk yard......but that bothered me about as much as buying a Chrysler product when I bought the jeep. Prius is a wonderful car for its purpose. It is leep years ahead in technology then any other car on the road. I am not a tree huger...I just enjoy driving 600 miles on 10 gallons of gas. When the car dies...it will be donated or junked..just like I did with my 97 Jeep.....and then I get to buy a new toy. uummm maybe the Jeep pickup?
Old 03-09-2008, 05:43 PM
JK Freak

.....Is the Jeep making you feel guilty that you ended up buying a Prius?

Besides environmental issues......why support a foreign economy? I always admired Americain patriotism, but when I see Americains buying foreign it makes me think....
Old 03-10-2008, 01:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by km5er
My Prius cost me about 7K less than my Jeep. When I go on a long trip we use the Prius. When we go on a fun trip I use the Jeep. What is there not to understand?

For example right now I drive 75 miles a day to work. That;s 375 miles a week or 1500 miles a month. Now that's about $266 a month worth of gas at $3.19 a gallon(current). I already own the jeep. I am guessing but you paid about 20k for the prius. Now the same 1500 miles at 40MPG that's about what it would get in the hills and traffic here and we get $120 a month.

That's a difference of $146 a month. That seams like alot however whats your payment a month on the pruis? Probably $350-400 a month.

To own both for yourself does not make financial sense.

Last edited by derff96963; 03-10-2008 at 01:44 AM.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:53 AM
JK Newbie

Default EPA site for mileage tracking

The EPA maintains a web site dedicated to tracking mileage of nearly all motor vehicles. Patrons can submit their actual mileage for any given auto so that it can be averaged and displayed against actual ratings. There is no user data for the 2008 JK but there were (4) submissions for 2007's for both the 6 speed manual and the 4 speed Automatic. The site address is www.fueleconomy.gov for those that would like to submit their actual mileage.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by derff96963
For example right now I drive 75 miles a day to work. That;s 375 miles a week or 1500 miles a month. Now that's about $266 a month worth of gas at $3.19 a gallon(current). I already own the jeep. I am guessing but you paid about 20k for the prius. Now the same 1500 miles at 40MPG that's about what it would get in the hills and traffic here and we get $120 a month.

That's a difference of $146 a month. That seams like alot however whats your payment a month on the pruis? Probably $350-400 a month.

To own both for yourself does not make financial sense.
You are correct that to own both for myself would not make sense. The boss half of the relationship (my wife) drives the Prius while I drive the jeep the 18 miles RT to work. Also another comment about buying non-american products was a good comment maybe 15 to 20 years ago..but today everyting is non-american. I bought my 1994 Camaro new when they just came out with that sharp looking body style....it was made in Canada! Sorry but the clothes you wear, your cell phone, your electronics (perhaps the MYGIG) and most of what you own is not made in the US. By the way....whom do you think makes the money off of the gas you use? Most of the gas is simply refined here....the oil is from our friends in the middle east. Even the "Made in America" Wal Mart no longer sells only brands that were made in America.....their shelfs would be bare. It is a complicated world but not buying a vehicle because it was not made in America is not longer a good argument. Too complicated...for example half the parts in US cars are not made in American and half the "foreign" cars from Toyota, Hyundai and Kia are built in the US. Thanks for your comments......now back to JEEPS!
Old 03-15-2008, 08:43 AM
JK Newbie

Default Trip computer

Are you "zeroing out" your privious settings everytime you fill up? I'm brand new to JK's but most computers average the consumption based on what's in the database. If you re-set the miles, fuelburn etc with each fillup you should get more accurate info.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:50 PM
JK Newbie

Default fuel economy

Canada 60 litres per 500 km, 12L/ 100 km

Quick Reply: Fuel Consumption.