Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Fuel Consumption.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:49 AM
Rex
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Consistently have gotten 19.5 - 20mpg in my stock unlimited X. Lots of highway miles though, about 25miles both ways 65mph.

1. Just put in synthetic, will report any improvements (my guess: 0)
2. I'm about to install 285x75x16 terra grapplers and new alloy wheels(soon as tires arrive). I'm reading anywhere from 1-4 mpg decrease for various types of 33's.
3. CAI - supposively 1-2 increase, we'll see!
4. Voodoo Magic - increase proportional to live sacrifices

Ideally I'd like to keep 20mpg, but I'd live with 18-19.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:16 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by cmpmacchia
Ok guys, so what kind of fuel consumption are we getting? Consumer reports rates it as “dismal fuel economy” Post your findings.
How many of these fuel economy threads do we need? A new one pops up about every other day...
Old 03-05-2008, 10:23 AM
Rex
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by edubreuil
How many of these fuel economy threads do we need?
One for every Troll should do the trick.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rex
One for every Troll should do the trick.
Yeah that's what I'm feeling. Ignoring threads you don't care about uses so much less energy. But then, I guess the alternative adds to personal post count.

We are getting about 17mpg average, wifes dd, auto stock 245/75/16 & 3.73:1 rear.

Last fall on our trip out West, we got best ever freeway mileage 19.5-21 from Texas into New Mexico with a strong tail wind.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by edubreuil
How many of these fuel economy threads do we need?
According to my astrologer, we need 321 of these threads before the stars will align and our mileage improves.

Also, according to my voodoo priest, we need to respond to every post whether we like to or not. Apparently you see the same guy I do.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:46 PM
JK Newbie

Default Mileage

I travel 60 miles minimum every day to work and back. I get 21.7 average miles per gallon. I have checked over several tanks and over 1 tank and it is always about the same plus or minus a few points.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AZJeeper
I found that if you keep your fingers off of the reset button for a while, the dash mileage will line up very close to computed mileage (miles since last fill divided by number of gallons to fill tank). I track every drop of gas and track it in a spreadsheet (obsessive-compulsive?)
IN my experience you have to reset it. But only once per fill up. When you get gas reset it but don't touch it otherwise. It averages your mileage. If you drive consistently the same all the time it wouldn't matter. However most people can't do that.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

I got 23.56 miles per gallon going around 55-60 mph for about 90 miles. I couldn't believe it.

Now if I can only keep myself driving that speed....
Old 03-06-2008, 04:06 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by derff96963
IN my experience you have to reset it. But only once per fill up. When you get gas reset it but don't touch it otherwise. It averages your mileage. If you drive consistently the same all the time it wouldn't matter. However most people can't do that.
So if I understand correctly the figure that shows is the average gas mileage, not the gas mileage that you are currently getting given the driving conditions? Am I correct on that? And when you say reset, are you talking about the push and hold, or does scanning through other functions also reset it? (Obviously Newbie questions - but what the hell!) This is the first vehicle that I have owned that provides this type of information.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

it is possible to get good gas milage on these things...

heh, thats redneck overdrive for ya... best i've ever done was 91.5 but i didn't have a camera ready.

Quick Reply: Fuel Consumption.