Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Fuel Consumption

Old 10-25-2007, 05:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy3rd
one word: Aerodynamics

they'll tell you to rent a honda because fuel efficiency and gas mileage isn't the top priority for people buying wranglers. you can get an engine that does 50 miles per gallon, but stick that same engine on a wrangler (or any other brick shaped vehicle) and there goes that 50mpg.
Maybe to a point, be the engine technology from Honda and Toyota is superior.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:41 PM
JK Freak

I wonder how much better the fuel economy is with everything off in the summer. Totally topless, doors off. I know that is a lot of weight. I noticed when I drove around this summer with everything off the jeep felt much lighter and more responsive. I just never botherd to check the mileage.

Anybody look at it yet?
Old 10-26-2007, 02:18 AM
JK Jedi

Now that the engine is broken in, I'm getting steady 21MPG, and that's hand calculated.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Gasser
I wonder how much better the fuel economy is with everything off in the summer. Totally topless, doors off. I know that is a lot of weight. I noticed when I drove around this summer with everything off the jeep felt much lighter and more responsive. I just never botherd to check the mileage.

Anybody look at it yet?
I didn't do any refill calculations in said mode, but the MPG average on the dashboard took a major hit with the top and doors off.
At highway speeds, aerodynamics of a full hard top are far superior to top-off.
Like I said, I wasn't at a point in my tank where I could refill and calculate. It was only about a 40 mile round trip, but when I reset the trip computer to watch average mileage, it was MUCH worse (i.e. 17-18) than what I normally see at highway speeds. (23+) More responsive and better MPG in stop-start driving without hard top and doors would be an absolute yes. The added benefits of visibility and wind in your hair make top-off summer driving a given.

Using the trip computer, there seemed to be a sweet spot around 63 or 64 MPH that showed 25-28 MPG, but I haven't been able to check the actual with a refill calculation. This was on a long highway trip that was mostly at 75 MPH, with speed reduced as the interstate went through a town. Traffic was medium to heavy at all speeds, so drafting played a part.

As has already been said, Jeep is the wrong vehicle for anyone with MPG as a primary purchase factor
Old 10-26-2007, 03:18 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sixt7gt350
I didn't do any refill calculations in said mode, but the MPG average on the dashboard took a major hit with the top and doors off.
At highway speeds, aerodynamics of a full hard top are far superior to top-off.
Like I said, I wasn't at a point in my tank where I could refill and calculate. It was only about a 40 mile round trip, but when I reset the trip computer to watch average mileage, it was MUCH worse (i.e. 17-18) than what I normally see at highway speeds. (23+) More responsive and better MPG in stop-start driving without hard top and doors would be an absolute yes. The added benefits of visibility and wind in your hair make top-off summer driving a given.

Using the trip computer, there seemed to be a sweet spot around 63 or 64 MPH that showed 25-28 MPG, but I haven't been able to check the actual with a refill calculation. This was on a long highway trip that was mostly at 75 MPH, with speed reduced as the interstate went through a town. Traffic was medium to heavy at all speeds, so drafting played a part.

As has already been said, Jeep is the wrong vehicle for anyone with MPG as a primary purchase factor
Interesting and expected. I drive 100% in town. This spring, I will see what differance it makes when I get to take everything back off for summer. I bet the Jeep is 700 pounds lighter with all of that stuff off. I should get much better in town MPG. I understand the comments from most that economy is really a low priority if you bought a Jeep but that does not mean we need to completly ignore it. My wifes Excursion diesel 7000 lb truck gets 18 to 20 MPG Highway and its a brick for sure. But its hauling a lot more people and stuff doing it. I will also say, my race car only gets 2.5 MPG on track...

I sure wish we had the CRD...

Last edited by Gasser; 10-26-2007 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gasser
Interesting and expected. I drive 100% in town. This spring, I will see what differance it makes when I get to take everything back off for summer. I bet the Jeep is 700 pounds lighter with all of that stuff off. I should get much better in town MPG. I understand the comments from most that economy is really a low priority if you bought a Jeep but that does not mean we need to completly ignore it. My wifes Excursion diesel 7000 lb truck gets 18 to 20 MPG Highway and its a brick for sure. But its hauling a lot more people and stuff doing it. I will also say, my race car only gets 2.5 MPG on track...

I sure wish we had the CRD...
Even if you took out all of the seats, that still wouldn't be close to 700lbs. I would guess its less than half of that with the top and 4 doors..... Unless you are staying under 10 mph you will actually get worse gas milage with the top and doors off due to wind drag.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:34 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ARsahara
Even if you took out all of the seats, that still wouldn't be close to 700lbs. I would guess its less than half of that with the top and 4 doors..... Unless you are staying under 10 mph you will actually get worse gas milage with the top and doors off due to wind drag.

Well that is easy enough to check. I just guessed by how heavy everything felt when I took it all off. Next time I will just weigh everything or even easier, take the Jeep to the scales and again stripped.\

You are probably right but just some thoughts as I did feel the jeep was definatly more responsive/ lighter feeling with everything out for my LINE-X job.

Quick Reply: Fuel Consumption