Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Fuel additive turns off CEL p0306, why? 2018, 3.6

Old 06-10-2024, 10:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel seafoam turns off CEL p0306, why? 2018, 3.6

First time posting but I'm out of solutions. CEL p0306 has been on for some time. The first thing I did was put a fuel additive (seafoam) in the gas and it went away. After a period of several days it came back. So I've been going on the list of solutions here's what I've done:
Replaced plugs
Replaced boot #6
Replaced injector #6
Replaced O2 sensor

It keeps coming back. At this point I don't understand why it goes away with a fuel additive or what to do next. I haven't done a fuel pump pressure test or a compression test. My main question is why does the gas additive work to turn off the CEL?

Last edited by Skimonster; 06-10-2024 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 06-10-2024, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

This is purely a guess but I’d assume that if an additive will clear a misfire code then I think your valves are not seating well and the additive cleaned some of the carbon build up. You could also be at an early stage of head/valve failure. I’ve had a p0304 for about 3 years and have ignored it since the Jeep drove well and compression tests were within spec.

Do a YouTube search for seafoam, there’s a good video by a channel called jkgearandgadgets. He explains how to do seafoam through an intake vacuum line off of the brake booster. That may help you out in doing a good cleaning of the cylinders and head.
Old 06-10-2024, 01:16 PM
JK Newbie

That's what I'm worried of is this is a bigger issue. Like you said it runs well but I feel like this could soon spiral. I was using seafoam in the gas and it helped so maybe the cleaning is a good option. I'll try that. Thanks
Old 06-11-2024, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

Received 408 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Skimonster
That's what I'm worried of is this is a bigger issue. Like you said it runs well but I feel like this could soon spiral. I was using seafoam in the gas and it helped so maybe the cleaning is a good option. I'll try that. Thanks
Update the forum if you try this .. might help .. will be interesting to read if it helped.
Old 06-11-2024, 03:13 PM
JK Newbie

I just did the seafoam through the brake booster let it set for 15 minutes and ran it. A moderate amount of smoke came out but nothing to write home about. I dumped the rest of the seafoam in the gas which will probably keep the CEL off for the time being. In a week I will update it if it's still off and perhaps this is the solution.

Quick Reply: Fuel additive turns off CEL p0306, why? 2018, 3.6