Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Frozen wipers are pissing me off.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:55 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by webhannet
I saw on some forum where someone make something similar out of plastic pipe with many holes drilled. nice that these things can be removed when not needed.
Maybe you saw this one I made 7 years ago:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DefrosterDuct.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	664619
Old 06-06-2017, 12:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is no cure for a dumbass design...
Old 01-02-2018, 05:44 PM
JK Newbie

Default Defroster and windshield isn't the main problem

I have lived and driven in Northern Canadian climates for over 50 years. You can still get ice build up on wiper blades with a hot windshield. The problem is at certain warmer (it's relative) snow temps the ice crystals attach to each other and build up on the blades. believe it or not this is more of a problem at warmer winter temps than really cold one (like -40). Heated wiper arms not blades could be a solution. But believe it or not good winter wiper blades are made stiffer so they chatter as they go across the windshield. this vibrates the blades and arms enough to break the ice off of the blades. Heating your windshield is not the best solution to this wintery problem.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:45 AM
JK Newbie

I have griped about this problem many times on this forum and others. The problem is the crappy defroster. It is practically useless in any bad kind of weather. The outlet is in the middle of the windshield; the wipers freeze to the glass because the hot air hits the glass an inch or more above the wipers. What makes it real fun is when the outer edges of the windshield stay frozen, dragging ice and water in front of you while you're trying to see. Here in Anchorage, snow can be dry or wet and sloppy and icy. I have hated driving this car in the winter for this reason. When I buy a vehicle, I should not have to modify it so something as simple as a windshield defroster works correctly. Very lame and potentially dangerous design. Like I have written in the past: if you have not experienced what I described, your weather is NOT bad enough.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

owned jeeps since 76 had that problem then
i'm guessing the folding windshield has something to do with it

Quick Reply: Frozen wipers are pissing me off.