Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

front window heating

Old 03-11-2010, 07:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My one complaint with our Jeep is Recirculate AC cannot be on when set to Defrost. AC on + heated Defrost just does not clear the condensation as effectively during our mild but very humid winter months.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kingteddybear
My one complaint with our Jeep is Recirculate AC cannot be on when set to Defrost. AC on + heated Defrost just does not clear the condensation as effectively during our mild but very humid winter months.
Uh - I think that's because on recirc the moisture *builds* not diminishes. I know all about humid - I live on a small island in the Atlantic... it always amazes me how many people I see driving around here with fogged-up windows because they run with recirc on.

YMMV
Old 03-12-2010, 03:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Damn I feel sorry for you extreme cold weather people I guess im spoiled here in the south..
Old 03-12-2010, 07:32 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronjenx
This is what I'm working on. It distributes the hot air along its entire length. I haven't had the kind of weather needed to test it, yet.
If it works out, I will paint it black.

Should send this in to the Jeep Engineers.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:35 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by XHotrodX
Damn I feel sorry for you extreme cold weather people I guess im spoiled here in the south..
Thanks. Right back at ya for the heat and humidity where you are.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is one memeber's solution

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/my-defroster-mod-121705/
Old 03-12-2010, 08:35 AM
Uwe
JK Newbie

Can you please tell me what this is. A piece of metal or plastic? Did you drill the holes?

I already thought of taking the plastic shields out of the vent and put something inside or over the opening but i can not think of something nice. But yours looks nice.

Perhaps it helps to point Jeep at the thread here to make them think a bit about defrosting and air flow :-)

The air flow to the front window in my JK is really weak when in the foot/defrost position. I guess that only about 10% of the possible air flow comes through the defroster vent.

Originally Posted by ronjenx
This is what I'm working on. It distributes the hot air along its entire length. I haven't had the kind of weather needed to test it, yet.
If it works out, I will paint it black.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:47 AM
JK Jedi Master

It's a piece of gray PVC pipe, cut in half, with half end caps. I drilled all the holes.

As soon as we get the right kind of weather, I will try it and experiment with various holes open or covered.

It seems the weather has been good ever since I had the thing ready to go.
I guess you could say it's working very well, then.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:11 AM
Uwe
JK Newbie

So simple idea. I'll go and have a look at some PVC pipes... ahem, which i never really did before... and how do you intend to attach this?

Your tests can be made shortly or is the winter already over? I certainly would want to know how it works out.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:29 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Uwe
So simple idea. I'll go and have a look at some PVC pipes... ahem, which i never really did before... and how do you intend to attach this?

Your tests can be made shortly or is the winter already over? I certainly would want to know how it works out.
It's probably too late to see if it keeps ice off the outside.
Next time we get cold rainy weather, Ill see how it keeps fog off the inside.

Quick Reply: front window heating