Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Front Wheel Bearing Assembly, 2016 JK

Old 06-04-2024, 05:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Wheel Bearing Assembly, 2016 JK

Any particular brand Front Wheel Bearing Assembly being used ?

Any brand to avoid ?

Thanks.
Old 06-04-2024, 06:38 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

I'm not sure any are better than the other. pretty basic item with sealed bearings. just be aware that most will come with a new wheel speed sensor installed and THAT is where they can differ a bit cuz some of the wiring on the sensors is longer than others. This could be important depending on build.....obviously moreso if lifted. I bought a Crown unit as a replacement "spare" long ago and it had longer ABS wiring. Been a long time since i had factory hubs though and that is long gone so I no longer have that part number. I'd imagine it hasn't changed though over the years.

**also, don't think that you can just pull out and reuse your factory sensor in the new aftermarket unit bearing, cuz that is not always the case....hence why they often come with new sensors
Old 06-04-2024, 02:20 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

A few years ago, all of the front wheel unit bearings were made by ILJIN, including OEM, Timken, etc.
I haven't looked lately.
Old 06-05-2024, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

I had SKF 2 years ago and 25000kms later they were replaced again. So even the good brands are crap. One thing I am going to try is a way to drill the hub and install a grease nipple as mine were dry as hell so they simply lost the grease. I still remember the days when once a year we did LOCKING HUB service. That involved removing everything, replacing the spindle bearings and sometimes the spindle itself, greasing the wheel bearings and replacing the seals. Easy job and never any field issues even with lots of water crossings.

Quick Reply: Front Wheel Bearing Assembly, 2016 JK