Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Front Sway Bar Shifting

Old 02-25-2016, 09:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front Sway Bar Shifting

I've noticed that my driver side sway bar link has been at an angle for a while now, but never really looked into why. I was messing with the jeep yesterday and pulled on the sway bar at the point it come out of the bushing on the frame, and realized I can move it "in and out" i.e.: shift it by hand towards the driver side and back to the passenger side. Figured I would ask before I tore it apart but would this be a result of the sway bar bushings being worn, or is there something else going on here? Thanks.
Old 02-26-2016, 02:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they normally move fairly easy. normally there is no side to side load on them so they dont shit from one side to the other. i would see if maybe your axle was shifting causing the swaybar to shift as well.
Old 02-26-2016, 02:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shabbernigdo
they normally move fairly easy. normally there is no side to side load on them so they dont shit from one side to the other. i would see if maybe your axle was shifting causing the swaybar to shift as well.
It may have in the past but I know it isn't shifting now. All new parts in my front end and control arms. Holes are reinforced too. Maybe it's been that way for a while.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is completely normal for the sway bar to walk a little left or right in its mounts and does so as the axle shifts under articulation if not disconnected.

Quick Reply: Front Sway Bar Shifting