Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Front speed sensor, what came out doesn't match

Old 09-23-2023, 09:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front speed sensor, what came out doesn't match

So finally decided to change the front speed sensors. Got the correct parts at NAPA and pulled the old one out. When trying to put the new one in, it would not sit all the way, about 1/4 inch too long. Compaired old and new one and sure enough, they are different. Cord length matches but the sensors themselves are different. Google and parts search has come up with nothing. Please look at the picture and can someone please tell me what the hell is going on??????
old on left, new on right.

Old 09-23-2023, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

Received 408 Likes on 383 Posts

Welcome to JKF. Good friendly group. The one you removed - was it working? Here is the OEM Part number 68003281AF .Note the factory PN has the AF suffix which indicates it is not the 1st generation so it has changed from the original PN.. Many times the aftermarket applications are not exact as they can be designed to work many different vehicles. It is possible that NAPA has a incorrect reference for the 2011 JK. If the old one was working, put it back in place.
The following users liked this post:
Old 09-23-2023, 12:00 PM
JK Newbie

Jay - thanks for responding

The old speed sensor was not working. Hooked up to reader and said the front passenger side was bad. The factory PN matches the same replacement i got that doesnt fit. I dont get it. I replaced the driver side one a few years ago and had no issues.

I did a generic Chrysler speed sensor search and a few of the images looked close.

Will take old to auto store with me and find the match.
Old 09-23-2023, 04:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just replaced both front sensors 2 weeks ago. Picked up the replacements from 1Aauto for $44 and so far no issues.
Old 09-24-2023, 02:18 AM
JK Newbie

I haven't had my front sensors out but the one on the right looks like the rear sensors on my 2015. If front and rear are different maybe you got the wrong part in the box.
Old 09-25-2023, 06:07 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,942 Likes on 1,699 Posts

I am going to guess that you are not the original owner of the jeep, and that the wheel bearing unit has been replaced in the past. aftermarket wheel bearings will come with their own new ABS sensor and they are often different from the factory ones.
The following users liked this post:
Old 09-25-2023, 02:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Pulled my J6 fuse to do real (not nanny) doughnuts. Have some OEM speed sensors for free. Harness and all.
Old 09-28-2023, 02:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like they gave you the rear sensor.
Old 09-28-2023, 02:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tango romeo papa circa 67
Pulled my J6 fuse to do real (not nanny) doughnuts. Have some OEM speed sensors for free. Harness and all.
You’re not putting them back? Don’t you want cruse control?
Old 09-28-2023, 02:43 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,942 Likes on 1,699 Posts

Originally Posted by xkid
Looks like they gave you the rear sensor.
Maybe things are different across the pond, but that isn't anywhere close to what a rear ABS sensor looks like. The sensor on the left is simply a front sense from an offbrand unit bearing.

Quick Reply: Front speed sensor, what came out doesn't match