Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Front seat SRS airbags & seat cover?

Old 09-14-2009, 03:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front seat SRS airbags & seat cover?

Two questions....

1: We have an '09 JK 4 door X model with front seat SRS. Looked for some simple front seat covers and every option cautions not to use if seat has airbags. So, we just drape some beach towels over the seat part and up the back, keeping the outer edge uncovered. My question is...what and where is the acutal air bag? Anyone ever see any photos or have an experience with these airbags in the seats? Where are they exactly? How big when deployed?

2: Do the JK full frame type doors have internal reinforcement for impact/penetration....or just the window mechanism? Anyone had their door opened up?

I'm not planning on wrecking....just want to know how/if I can rig up some better covering seat covers without comprising the SRS aspects, and am curious about the door construction.

Thanks for any info!
Old 09-14-2009, 04:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are seat covers that are used with the SRS front seats. I believe the air-bags are in the sides of the actual seat (which I doubt will work when the doors are off? I don't want to find out anways...)

Here is a quick link on some covers... quadratec.com/products/14167_60X_PG.htm
Old 09-14-2009, 05:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jls8604
There are seat covers that are used with the SRS front seats. I believe the air-bags are in the sides of the actual seat (which I doubt will work when the doors are off? I don't want to find out anways...)

Here is a quick link on some covers... quadratec.com/products/14167_60X_PG.htm
The air bag crash sensor isn't in the door and will work with the doors removed. To what effect they will protect you, I can't say.....

My regards,

Widewing
Old 09-15-2009, 03:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well...I web searched again and must have got my search terms in a better order or whatever....the Jeep site has a section on safety and it has a photo which shows the side impact panel/bar and the activated SRS air bags.

So now I know....the full frame jeep doors DO have the panels; the SRS bag in the seats comes out of the outer upper side and extends forward about a foot when deployed.

Here is the site:

http://www.jeep.com/en/2009/wrangler...security_tour/

Still not planning to wreck, but nice to know.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have Wet Okoles, and they claim to be SRS compliant. They have an opening in the sides for the airbag to open.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:48 PM
JK Freak

i got some smittybuilts off of ebay and they have a "slot" in them where the air bag is located.

Quick Reply: Front seat SRS airbags & seat cover?