Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

front seat noise

Old 05-14-2008, 06:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem. had the seat replaced and the noise was gone. I try adjusting everything before replacing the seat but to no avail.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:13 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rubimonster
I know there is a post somewhere out there bout this but can't find a good answer.
I'm not exactly small (235 lbs) But my seat pops, sqeaks and moans when I hit a bump or move around. It's been getting worse over time. Somone mentioned greasing something but didn't specify what.

Anyone having the same problem and have a valid solution. I know if I take it to the stealership they'll say "well, we were unable to re-produce it." and look at me like I have 2 heads.

Thanks
had the same problem, dealer changed the seat bracket and the noise is gone. I'm 6'2'' 250
Old 05-15-2008, 05:46 PM
JK Newbie

Had the same problem - dealer replaced my seat rails. They said there was too much play. Fixed the problem for good.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:31 PM
JK Super Freak

We have a squeak in the driver's side front seat. We did everything to figure out where it was coming from. When I driver the JK I don't hear it. When my DH drives we hear it squeak whenever we bounce, even a little bump causes the squeak. Maybe this is because he is heavier than me and presses on it harder. We tried to look for a cause under the seat. We lubricated the slide rails and also the handle on the side of the seat with WD40, I thought it helped but I was wrong. It's still there.

The other day while riding around we were listening to it again. I was in the passenger seat trying to locate where the sound was coming from. I reached behind the passenger seat and placed the flat of my hand on the back. I could hear the squeaking and could feel a slight vibration coming from under the upholstery about a foot or less from the top of the seat back. I am convinced the noise is wire supports inside the seat back rubbing each other. If I am right, I wonder how I could fix it? I'm thinking if something like a piece of cloth was inserted between the wires it would eliminate the friction and sound.

I imagine there isn't any easy fix as one would have to remove the upholstery. I guess I will have to take it back to the dealer possibly for a replacement. I still want to examine the seat again before taking it in for warranty work.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

hrm sounds like my issue is different from you guys. I am definitely hearing a popping noise from the pillar at my left ear when I go over bumps. I guess I'll have the dealer look at it when it goes in for oil and tire rotation.

I was looking around at the plastics on the pillar and did find the little square plastic panel that allows access to the rear door wiring to be nearly popped out of place. I put it back in but the noise is still there.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:10 AM
JK Newbie

Oh thank heavens, its a defect. I thought i was just to heavy for the seat since I am on the tubby side. My seat had a sqeaking noise, but is no longer there. I think all my weight just compressed everything into place.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:00 PM
JK Freak

I have the Same Problem....I am 5'7 and 140 pounds....this just shows that weight really isn't a factor in this one. I honestly think that it is from hitting a bump to hard wheeling. It started in the woods and I wold have liked it to end their.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:40 AM
JK Newbie

Default Seat Squeak

I too have had the seat squeak, and I have been able to trace it to where the seatbelt enters the seat. When it squeaks, if I push the female part of the seatbelt back and away, it stops. I think the plastic is rubbing on the Yes fabric ever so slightly.....tried taking one of the kids old baby socks, snipping the toe off and sliding it over. Better, but not gone yet....

Anyone else seen this?
Old 05-20-2008, 08:50 AM
JK Freak

I had the squeak as well. Dealer replaced the seat track and all has been quiet since...fingers crossed.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default noise in the drivers side

I'm 350 lbs. & my seat doesn't make any noises but there was a noise in the post between the doors. I had it at the dealer today & they fixed it.

Quick Reply: front seat noise