Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Front end clunk on highway

Old 10-10-2011, 02:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front end clunk on highway

Yesterday I did a 4 hour roadtrip over the roadtrip I noticed my front end clunk from the drivers side front about half a dozen times. Got a friend to jump on bumper while I listened and couldn't find anything. I torqued up all the suspension just to be safe.checked ball joints tie rods etc. All seems good. And now that I'm in the city the noise doesn't happen anymore. My guess is driver side axel shaft u joint starting to act up. Anyone have an idea?
Old 10-10-2011, 02:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only "clunk" that I hear about fairly often is the steering clunk, from what I've gathered that comes from where the steering shaft comes through the fire wall. There is a plastic piece that slides out from the fire wall on the shaft. Hope this helps!
Old 10-10-2011, 07:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the same clunk as well right after putting bushwacker flats on this clunk started I would agree with it being the fender well liner.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

My clunk is defiantly not fender liner unfortunately. It sounded like binding in front driver wheel area *clunk clunk clunk*. When I took the jeep for a drive this morning there was a different noise from the same area the new noise is more of a rub but I think and hope the new noise is related to the clunk I was getting on highway are related. My new guess is bad wheel bearing.

here is a video of the new noise which I heard this morning which has disappeared and I have not been able to recreate since.

Last edited by itsajeepthing91; 10-10-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Bump. need some opinions before I order wheel bearing tomorrow.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by itsajeepthing91
Yesterday I did a 4 hour roadtrip over the roadtrip I noticed my front end clunk from the drivers side front about half a dozen times. Got a friend to jump on bumper while I listened and couldn't find anything. I torqued up all the suspension just to be safe.checked ball joints tie rods etc. All seems good. And now that I'm in the city the noise doesn't happen anymore. My guess is driver side axel shaft u joint starting to act up. Anyone have an idea?
Man bro I had the exact same thing. Even when it was bran new. Felt some clunk on the drivers side floor board it seemed at highway speeds. Year later, its gone for some reason???

Quick Reply: Front end clunk on highway