Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Front axle u-joints

Old 03-31-2014, 01:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front axle u-joints

Does anyone have experience changing the front axle u-joints? I have a 2008 JK Unlimited and both driver side and passenger side axle u-joints need to be changed. Any walk through's around? What special tools would I need?
Old 03-31-2014, 01:20 PM
JK Freak

Just a socket set and a 35mm socket with break bar to get the shaft out of the axle.. After that remove the clip and press out the u joint... Do the reverse to reinstall. YouTube search axle u joint replacement. Pretty much the same for all axles.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2014, 02:26 PM
JK Freak

I tried the YouTube route and it helps a little.
I am in buffalo, NY which I assume has the same corrosion issues as Ontario with salt on the roads in winter....

U-joints were a pain!

Go to your local auto store and ask if they have tool rentals, in the USA most of the major chains will let you rent them for free with a $150 deposit.
You get the whole $150 back when you return the tool.

You need a u-joint press, they will know what you are talking about.

Also I thing they had a tool to pull a axle as well...
Anyways, I will let your YouTube search help with the step by step...

What I can help with is actually getting the u-joint itself out.

When you are trying to get the ujoint out search for the retainer ring. It is most likely rusted and you will not identify it at first but it is there. Take an old screw driver and a hammer and chisel it out. Mine broke apart in pieces but once you start the remainder of the ring is easy.

As far as getting it pressed out, make sure that you have a good breaker bar and I actually put my axle in a vice so I could really use the breaker bar. Keep pushing on the breaker until that joint pops, I've actually read of people having ujoints pop as if a gun went off. Mine were close.

After you do one you will be ok but getting there is a little hard and the videos did help in showing the steps but they are usually with southern cars and the ujoints are rust free and just slide out.

If you have questions, let me know.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:57 PM
JK Newbie

You need snap ring pliers and one of these:

Amazon.com: OTC 7248 C Frame Press U-Joint, Brake Anchor Pin and Ball Joint Removing/Installing tool: Automotive

The axle should pull right out. Piece of cake.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:16 PM
JK Freak

One more word of advice... If you use a shop press to remove the u joint make sure you aren't pressing the axle ends together. I didn't have my socket centered on the u joint like I was supposed to the first time I did one of these and slightly bent the axle ends together so the new u joint barely fit.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2014, 02:43 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 14JKU
You need snap ring pliers and one of these: Amazon.com: OTC 7248 C Frame Press U-Joint, Brake Anchor Pin and Ball Joint Removing/Installing tool: Automotive The axle should pull right out. Piece of cake.
This is you of the tools that you can rent for free from the auto chain stores and it does help but make sure to line it up or you can cause damage.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:58 PM
JK Newbie

Hi everyone, thanks for the advice. I just finished doing the first one (driver side) today. Here's how it went.......
1 hour delay due to misplaced wheel lock lug nut! After I found it I removed the tire, loosened the axle nut, then removed the brake caliper. All easy.
I removed my wheel spacer then the rotor. i looked for the connector for the speed sensor but honestly couldn't find it. So, I decided to removed it at the wheel hub.
Wouldn't you know it, the damn thing broke! Man it was in there tight! I then had a really hard time with the bolts for the wheel hub.
Again really tight. Mostly due to the corrosion I guess. I ended up getting them out using a lot a curse words and elbow grease.
By the way, if you're not used to physical labour, your forearms WILL cramp up by this point. Removed the axle and used the tool I rented from the part store.
Old u-joint removed and new one installed again with a little elbow grease and a big hammer. I found the hammer approach easier to remove the old one.
Started to re-install everything ( did it a couple times because i forgot to take note on how the dust shield should go on).
Took it for a drive to make sure nothing was binding and voila! It seems ok. Never did this before. Only question is will this broken speed sensor be a problem??
I have the ABS and ESP lights illuminated on my dash but when i drove i didn't feel anything different. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 04-05-2014, 02:16 PM
JK Junkie

I broke one doing ball joints no issue just your dash is lit up. Where did it break -at the sensor?
I had a hell of a time fishing it out. Used a screw. First time split the piece in half. Barely had any thing to hook onto. Finally was able to screw through it and pull it out.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:50 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
I broke one doing ball joints no issue just your dash is lit up. Where did it break -at the sensor?
I had a hell of a time fishing it out. Used a screw. First time split the piece in half. Barely had any thing to hook onto. Finally was able to screw through it and pull it out.
Yeah. Right at the sensor. Piece of plastic crap! Gonna live with it until I get a replacement. Have to see if I break the passenger side tomorrow (ha ha)
Old 04-05-2014, 02:53 PM
JK Junkie

$15 ... They're not that expensive.
You said you don't feel a difference ?
Mine (6 speed) had less engine braking or drag. Not sure what exactly it was but it was more enjoyable to drive. I Considered the esp kill switch for awhile .

Quick Reply: Front axle u-joints