Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

front axle seals?

Old 08-20-2024, 10:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default front axle seals?

It's been quite some time since I've done this, and it was originally on an H3 with a solid axle d44 conversion. Those shims for the ARB locker were miserable to work with.

Just watched a youtube video and our shims look thick. Not the paper thin ones I remembered.

Is this something pretty simple to do? I can get the seal tool and all. Just don't wanna pay the price people are quoting. It looked straight forward to me...
Old 08-20-2024, 10:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It's not difficult as long as you have basic mechanical skills. Make sure you keep track of which shim stack goes to which side of the carrier, and make sure you keep bearing caps on the same side. If there are thin shims, it helps if you sandwich those between the thicker shims and the bearing race.
The following users liked this post:
fowlken8 (08-20-2024)
Old 08-20-2024, 10:42 AM
JK Newbie

Great thanks. It's strange how much braver I was when I was in my mid 20s haha Cutting and welding on frames. removing transmissions. all with zero experience haha the air locker and carrier in my hummer was awful....each shim was paper thin. I think I tossed 1-2 from each side and it was still TIGHT.

I just ordered my parts. I'll give it a go!
Old 08-20-2024, 11:29 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,929 Likes on 1,688 Posts

from the factory the shims are single on each side and really thick making it easy. If it's been regarded you will have a shim "pack" as noted. In a D30 with an open carrier, super easy. In a rubi D44 just be careful of the locker plunger in the housing as you put the carrier back in the diff. Can't recall which you have. Don't forget to lube the axle shaft splines when you reinstall em and be careful going through that new seal!
Old 08-20-2024, 11:47 AM
JK Newbie

yeah, the video looked much easier than my regeared monster H3. I think I have factory 3.27 gears still. I hope it doesn't take forever but I'll make it work, I think!
Old 08-20-2024, 11:56 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,929 Likes on 1,688 Posts

If you think you will ever have to remove that diff cover again in the future, a Lube Locker can be really nice instead of using RTV again. You can reuse them and it's certainly nice to not have to scrape old RTV off the mating surfaces. Used to be ~$15 for one. No clue if prices changed.
Old 08-20-2024, 12:14 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
If you think you will ever have to remove that diff cover again in the future, a Lube Locker can be really nice instead of using RTV again. You can reuse them and it's certainly nice to not have to scrape old RTV off the mating surfaces. Used to be ~$15 for one. No clue if prices changed.
yeah, I looked at that....they're 28 bucks now. Not really 'expensive' but RTV was like 7 lol and I've always used it with no real issues. I really don't want to remove it again anytime soon. just want these little issues sorted out so I can relax.

Quick Reply: front axle seals?